Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hose size question
Hose size question
Hello all,

I have been using the Resmed Vauto Bipap and am wondering about hose size. The one that came with the machine says 15mm. The machine gives me the choice of standard or slimline as options. So which is it? I have a 22mm for a DreamStation as well as a 12mm for my DreamStation GO which actually allow for a specific hose size choice whereas the Resmed choices are a bit vague.

If I have the machine currently set for standard and in fact the 15mm qualifies as slimline what effect would that have had on performance?

Thanks for the help.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hose size question
(10-19-2018, 04:31 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: If I have the machine currently set for standard and in fact the 15mm qualifies as slimline what effect would that have had on performance?

The issue is that your BiLevel machine needs to deliver your prescription pressure to your mask, but it doesn't actually have a pressure sensor in the mask. Instead, the machine has a pressure sensor near where the hose connects to the machine and it uses the hose settings and math to calculate the expected flow restriction of the hose to estimate the how much extra pressure it needs at the machine to deliver the prescription pressure at the mask. If you are in auto mode, the wrong hose setting shouldn't affect you too much as the machine is automatically adjusting to your breathing rather than to a fixed setting. But if you are on a fixed setting, then the wrong hose setting means you likely aren't getting the expected treatment pressure at the mask.

A properly equipped DME can test the pressure at the mask with a pressure guage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slimline is a 15 mm hose and the standard is 22 mm. You could get a Climateline heated hose which is 15 mm and is automatically detected and locks out other options. Strom's comments are accurate, but I don't know why you would input the wrong settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help. I had the DreamStation dialed in correctly but didn't know what qualifies as slimline. Unfortunately, my doctor had it set at standard when it looks like it should be slimline. I am not using humidifcation so do not have the fancy hose plugged into the machine. I never thought to check otherwise, although I have changed other settings, until today when cleaning the hose I noticed it said 15mm which got me thinking, I know dangerous!

I have been experiencing a strange behavior with the Resmed machine where it has a double poof of air just as inhilation begins. This has been a distraction when trying to fall asleep although I don't believe it has effected therapy outcome. Is there any chance the issue might be related? I've made the change and will see how it works tonight.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Really no discernible difference last night with the hose diameter set to slimline. Just my uneducated observation.

The other issue of the double poof of pressure just as inhalation begins persists! It happens randomly but frequently! I'm especially sensitive to the phenomenon just as I'm drifting off to sleep which startles me enough to delay sleep onset.

I've tried changing every setting on the Resmed Bipap that can be changed to no avail. I believe me sleep quality when asleep is better with the Resmed vs. DreamStation but the sleep latency issue caused by this pressure bumping issue is really getting in the way.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon or have any suggestions as to what I might do to correct the issue. As a side note my supplier sent me a loner machine that I set up identically to my present system to determine if there was a machine issue involved. Unfortunately, the results were the same!

Thanks for the help.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.