Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hosed up for 6 weeks now
Hosed up for 6 weeks now
Hi all,

Well I have been on my machine for six weeks and I will be honest and say its been a lot more difficult to use than I thought but I am determined to use the machine and get this therapy down. I am using a full face mask and I must admit I didn't like the feeling of this monster on my face but I am getting used to it. I tried pillows but my mouth kept dropping open so I bought a chin strap to try (last night) with better results but switched back to the full mask as my lips were fluttering and woke me. I will persevere with the pillows as its certainly easier to find a position to sleep with them although now I am used to the mask I don't particularly find them super comfy like some do. Everyone is different but for me if I need to wear a chin strap, collar and tape lips I would rather just use a full face mask as all that paraphernalia seems pointless if there is one thing that works for me.

Below are my last two nights, Monday felt like it was my best day since I started and felt rested. Tuesday was with the pillow try and I had a more restless night but still not bad if I go back to the start. One thing I have noticed is my 95% over the last three weeks has increased and I am wondering if I should look at raising my minimum up and my max? For those that have read my previous thread the centrals are still the majority of events but they seem to be less than before. I am still taking the advice of the forum members as I believe that the ASV may still be the best therapy for me but as always I welcome your thoughts.

Apologies for the long post but I hope it helps other new users to stick with it as for me its been difficult but the implications of not using the therapy are certainty not worth the limited discomfort of getting used to being hosed up!

[Image: pwmkQYv.png]

[Image: KouFgCP.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hosed up for 6 weeks now
Make adjustments slowly so you cansee which works. I see constant leaks you need to address.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider you need a ASV machine. If it were me I'd just stick the machine on a fixed pressure of 9cm or 10cm and leave it alone. The best thing you can do now is push the Doctor to get you on a ASV machine!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
One glance and I said you need an ASV machine may be in your feature.

Usually the best we can do with a CPAP machine is to eliminate pressure fluctuation.  This means constant pressure with no EPR.

I suggest your mean as a good place to try so set a range of 10-10 cmH2O

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 08:55 AM)bonjour Wrote: One glance and I said you need an ASV machine may be in your feature.

Usually the best we can do with a CPAP machine is to eliminate pressure fluctuation.  This means constant pressure with no EPR.

I suggest your mean as a good place to try so set a range of 10-10 cmH2O

Fred

Fred...what stuck out at you when you glanced at the charts to see an ASV is likely the next step? Is it the CA's or are there specific patterns you see?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above assessments. Practically all of your events are CA events and you are getting a lot of them.

I would also suggest an ASV machine may be in your future. Failing that, Fred's advice about using one constant setting and eliminating EPR is also spot on as a stopgap measure.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I saw was a lot of CA events that were not in an awake period (and thus ignore).  The fact that 6 weeks of this were part of the stated history.  Thus less likely to clear in time (Generally a 3 month period, part of the MAY need determination).

What remains determining if the CA is considered bad enough to warrant an ASV  (CA index is under 5)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect since his AHI is under 5, they will fight him on getting an ASV...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2017, 04:29 PM)Marillion Wrote: I suspect since his AHI is under 5, they will fight him on getting an ASV...
agreed
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting reading the responses, as the very good advice I have had previously ASV may be needed. The events have come way down though so this 3 month bedding in period actually has some traction as I just thought it was a fob off. I have tried fixed pressure for a week but it made no difference to the events and I also turned EPR off but I didn't feel comfortable so I put it back on.

I have an appointment in 3 weeks with the doctor and I will see what he says, I am quite happy to purchase a machine if its the correct therapy for me but with ASV I presume this is slightly more difficult because of the potential health implications?

One quick mention, early on I suffered with leaks and did the newbie mistake of strapping the mask so tight to my face that it could have featured in playing a part in an alien film! The mask primer in Bonjours link is invaluable in making the mask comfortable so if you are new and reading this take some time to digest the article.
Thanks

Thanks again to all and this forum for the valuable advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 132 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 311 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.