Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hoseless CPAP
As i suspected, something like this may come along about the same time we develop warp drive technology for interstellar space travel.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2016, 07:48 PM)sonicboom Wrote: As i suspected, something like this may come along about the same time we develop warp drive technology for interstellar space travel.

It's not nearly that bad, but probably still unlikely for a long time.

Current model CPAP machines waste a considerable amount of energy because of the intentional leak. In theory, you could recover energy from the exhaled air and use it to power the compression of the air for the inhale cycle. You'd get fresher air because you don't have the dead space of the hose. You could control pressure much more precisely because you're not trying to measure from the other end of the hose. You'd need better batteries.

One of these day, I need to estimate theoretical minimum power usage for a CPAP machine with zero leak rate and a "thermodynamically perfect" air pump.

There might actually be a possibility to do something similar, but use electric power from a cable rather than a battery. It wouldn't be as nice as a completely unattached CPAP, but could be better than a hose.

They're also getting pretty good at wireless recharging for cell phones and such.

Humidification would be tricky, too.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seriously I saw someone trying to get croudfunding for his wearable mini cpap. You were just supose to be able to put the nasal cusions in your nose and it just was about 1 1/2 " wide and 3/4 " high no prototype just a drawing. And some fools were falling for this scam! Then I saw a short video of another " Dr," with his own micro cpap almost identical to this one. Funny it seems Indian Dr's don't ware white coats they just wear wrinkled white tee shirts and not new ones at that. By the way I am seeking investors for my ski resort in Death Valley !
Post Reply Post Reply

I saw that crowd funding campaign. Yes, I'm skeptical. No I don't believe it's going to happen soon. But hey, let's all remember that science fiction becomes science fact faster than we'd all like to admit. Consider how fast a mainframe became an Android phone.... never say never.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply