Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hot air, can't breathe or sleep, ugh.
Hot air, can't breathe or sleep, ugh.
Good morning all,

I have read bunches of posts on here, but I have not found something that really fits what is happening to me. I have been using a ResMed s9 cpap for 10 years or so. I was diagnosed with 7.1 AHI, and I have run under 1 for a long time. I use the P10 nasal pillows and my pressure (based on my sleep test) was suggested to be set at 10. In the last two days I have not been able to sleep well with my mask on. When I turn it on the air seems hot, despite our AC bedroom running at 62 degrees (we like it cold). I generally do not put water into the humidifier in the summer due to water in my mask. I have also noticed that when I breathe out, I get the sensation I need to cut the exhale short and inhale again... which leads to be coming out of being tired. I look at the machine and its set to Ramp over 20 minutes, the EPR was set to 3 (I have messed around with all the settings at this point), and it appears like I am not getting any relief during the exhale. I have had times where during the night I have pulled off my mask when I got this feeling, but generally I would just relax with it off for a bit and then start again.

I loaded Oscar and can post some results, just not sure what would be helpful exactly, so I attached a couple screenshots... any help would be appreciated. I am getting exhausted.

Thanks for this forum, I have learned a lot about this machine at 3am while I cannot sleep!

Charlie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hot air, can't breathe or sleep, ugh.
Please post Oscar agin, daily view with the graphs listed in my signature. Those are the graphs we need right now.

Use F12 for the screenshot on
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Charlie!  -  Welcome

It will be a little more helpful if you reset your Daily screen to the Standard view before taking a screenshot.    Go to the menu item View > Reset Graphs (the 6th from the top) > Standard and select it.  Then press the F12 to take a screenshot.  This should allow us to see most of the needed data.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to this OSCAR software, so I am not really sure what I am doing... or if this is the right info... so please forgive me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Please unpin your graphs. This is preventing us from seeing the ones we need.   Also, do happen to know what resolution your monitor is?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still not all the charts needed but I can give you a couple suggestions based on what is here. 

Your min is to low it is set to 4. 

EPR is exhale pressure relief and you have it set at 3 

How this works the min - EPR is your exhale pressure and the min is your inhale pressure. EPR is how we help treat flow limits and H events. 

The absolute lowest your machine can possibly go is 4. That setting would give a small child (the same machine is used for children) but is way to low for an adult. And to use the EPR your min needs to be higher. 

I suggest you set the min=8
Turn off the ramp or limit it to a short time if you feel you need it. 

Give this a try and post tomorrow’s charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I am adding a few more screenshots to get all the graphs in there...

Last screenshot

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Odd that its been like this for years... but like I said I have had an incident here or there  like this, but not for a couple nights straight. I will make those changes and see how it goes... makes sense to what you are explaining.
Post Reply Post Reply
First off, the ramp is not doing you any favors.  It looks like you don't achieve full airflow until you reach the normal pressure.  If you are using the ramp because you find the normal pressure too high, I would recommend that you turn the ramp off and reduce your pressure to 8 cm from the current 10 cm.  If you start to have hypopneas or OAs, you can always start increasing it until they cease.  While the S9 is in Ramp mode, it will not report any events.  This will make you think that all is good.  This may not be the fact.   

It would also appear that from 12:15 till 12:30 you probably were tucking your chin, thus reducing your airflow.  If this is typical of your other sleep sessions, then you may wish to look into a soft cervical collar (SCC).  Here is a link that provides additional information on them.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Weight change, different medications, and age may play a role in your therapy response. Sleep apnea treatment is not static.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
These charts show an EPR at 1 be sure you set the EPR to 3 and min 8
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feeling like I cannot breathe vgrando 108 8,790 12-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: vgrando
  Breathe Right Strips and Central Apneas TiredTom111 10 1,174 12-26-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,024 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.