Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How Can I solve dry mouth?
How Can I solve dry mouth?
Hi,

I've been using the Dreamstation CPAP machine for about a month with the Dreamwear gel nasal pillow mask.  I also have a heated tube and use the humidifier every night.  The issue I've been having if that my mouth is very dry during the nap which eventually leads to me ripping my mask off.  I don't believe my mouth is open while sleeping but I know my jaw does hang down (lips still sealed) when sleeping.   

Is my only course of action here to get a chinstrap?  I really don't want to wear another thing that I have to get used to so if there are any other solutions that I haven't tried, please let me know.

FYI, I have also used full face masks and have not been successful with those either. Usually those masks end up leaking quite easily on me and I finally settled on the nasal pillow masks being the most comfortable for me. 

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How Can I solve dry mouth?
You might still be having significant leakage during exhale if you know your jaw is slack.  When you inhale, they might remain sealed like a mitral valve one way, but open the 'other' way.  It's just a guess...

I wonder if your heated tube and humidity setting is doing you any good.  Are they really necessary?  If so, are you almost maxed out?  Do you live in an arid place and need the extra moisture?  Have you tried a couple of nights with both off?

This isn't something I would advise someone to do (I'm just musing, not a professional), but I do leak when I sleep with my nasal mask, and I have to tape my mouth.  I started on Night #2 about 19 months ago, so it's old hat for me.  But what I want to say is that, were you to try it one night, you may find that you don't have the dry mouth, in which case it is highly likely that you are mouth-breathing...or leaking.

Some use a chin strap, and even a cervical collar can help to keep the chin from sagging and you from tilting your head too much toward your chest.

I'm afraid there is no ready solution, but in one of those there might be some relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer in my signature, especially the part about mouth breathing.  If you post daily charts from OSCAR or SleepyHead there is a real good chance we can definitively say if you are mouth breathing or not.  See the Organization link for what to post, again in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only way to permanently fix dry mouth is to have the mouth surgically removed. j/k

In other news, if you're not having mouth leaks and your dryness is more in the throat and not so much in the mouth then xylimelts or biotene spray are the only 2 good solutions i know.

If it's just dry mouth and not dry throat then don't be picky, it's not something that needs fixing. Dry throat on the other hand can predispose to infections which is why it needs to be handled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 2 97 3 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 187 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 726 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,098 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 456 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.