Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How Do You Keep The Mask On?
How Do You Keep The Mask On?
I regularly go to sleep with my mask on, and the machine cranks up. But inevitably the mask is off when I wake up. I don't remember taking it off, and it is not coming off on it's own. What do I do to keep the mask in place all night long?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How Do You Keep The Mask On?
I have to wear a chin strap due to mouth leaks, even with a full face mask, or I get dry mouth. I have found that wearing my chin strap over the mask headgear helps hold the mask in place much better.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I think I am taking it off during the night. It is never stuck on my head, or even in a position that makes me think it is slipping off. It is always just sitting next to the pillow. Usually one or two of the four clips are unclipped. I think I am taking it off in my sleep. How do I stop me from doing that? Or how do I wake me up when it happens so I can put the mask back on?

Also, I need to figure out how to get data out of the machine and read it. My doctor is not an option since the doctor I found through my insurance had been moving around from office to office, and the impression I got was that the doctor had been thrown out of each office for questionable dealings. My last contact with them was when the insurance company sent me a notice about benefits they applied for that showed they charged the insurance company for another sleep study that I didn't take! Also, I went to see that doctor twice, and never did see the doctor. The first time I saw a nurse practitioner, and the second time I saw a setup guy that showed me how to use the machine and pushed me to sign up for monthly mask replacements. I never tried to find them again.
Post Reply Post Reply
dreman, you can download #Sleepyhead for free. It will install on Windows or Mac computers and can read data from the S9 Elite or Autoset. The base model does not produce data. You can obtain a clincal menu for your machine here http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual You do need to look at the machine and note what model you are using. If you enter the clinical menus as described in the manual, you can record your pressure settings and other information. For your profile the humidifier for your machine is the h5i.

As far as mask removal, adding extra straps or tape that will arouse you if you try to remove it may work, or you could get kinky and use some kind of soft restraint. Hopefully you will overcome the habit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A friend of mine slept with mittens on. He eventually got used to the mask and doesn't need to wear them anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dreman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

You can try this to see if it helps you. Set up during the evening and use your machine and mask while you watch tv or read. This may help you get used to this new way of sleeping.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and also with getting used to your mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it is an Elite model since it only says s9 on the label, but it does have the SD card slot with an SD card in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 02:50 PM)dreman Wrote: I don't think it is an Elite model since it only says s9 on the label, but it does have the SD card slot with an SD card in it.

If it is the base model, you'll get a summary only; no detail data. That would let you see overall trend over time, but nothing else.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,532 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,428 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,838 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,534 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.