Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How I Repaired Broken Nasal Strap...
How I Repaired Broken Nasal Strap...
I have a cloth Resperonics Wisp (I think) mask. The strap that connects at the nose piece tore out of place. There is a plastic strip inside the cloth, and it has foam glued to it. That's all that holds the strap is a bit of foam and glue. So it tore away.

I used a very small drill, and drilled 3 holes into the plastic strip about 1/4" apart. I then reassembled the strap. I threaded a needle with Coban thread. Coban is so strong I can't break it with my hands. It is used for outdoor awnings and other things. I sewed the Coban thread in and out of the holes, through the outer cloth, then foam, then the plastic holes, foam and the bottom cloth and then tied it off.

The cloth on the outside was not torn, but stretched way out of shape. I found some iron-on patches, and wrapped the strap with the iron-on, and sealed it on one edge. That covered some of the thread and all the wrinkled strap material.

Done!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How I Repaired Broken Nasal Strap...
Great going, you're my kind of person! I get a kick out of being able to repair something and make it better than it was manufactured. It's getting easier every day since quality seems to be of lesser importance than it once was. I think people like us must have the MacGyver gene in our DNA helix somewhere.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2016, 05:46 PM)player Wrote: I have a cloth Resperonics Wisp (I think) mask. The strap that connects at the nose piece tore out of place. There is a plastic strip inside the cloth, and it has foam glued to it. That's all that holds the strap is a bit of foam and glue. So it tore away.

I used a very small drill, and drilled 3 holes into the plastic strip about 1/4" apart. I then reassembled the strap. I threaded a needle with Coban thread. Coban is so strong I can't break it with my hands. It is used for outdoor awnings and other things. I sewed the Coban thread in and out of the holes, through the outer cloth, then foam, then the plastic holes, foam and the bottom cloth and then tied it off.

The cloth on the outside was not torn, but stretched way out of shape. I found some iron-on patches, and wrapped the strap with the iron-on, and sealed it on one edge. That covered some of the thread and all the wrinkled strap material.

Done!

What a clever solution you figured out. Good job!!

Post Reply Post Reply
To sleep I needed it fixed...
Post Reply Post Reply
Dental floss also makes a good extremely strong thread. I've repaired backpacks with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi player,
Thanks for sharing this very helpful tip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: The other side tore out as well. I drilled and sewed it but it looked like the cloth ring that holds the nose-piece was ready to tear. I used Gorilla Tape to totally encase the entire nose-piece holder and 2 straps in tape. The nose-piece fits on and off the strap as it should. Seems to do the trick.

If you get a Swift mask, I can't recommend the cloth head assembly. They make a plastic one that may be better, but it probably has a built in defect too. I am going to try a Resmed S10... It apparently has a problem with defective air vents.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,108 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Chin Strap for Full Face Mask? newtothis1 5 649 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: newtothis1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.