Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Approximately, how many years have you been using CPAP?
This poll is closed.
Don't have a CPAP yet
1.45%
1 1.45%
Less than 1 Year
17.39%
12 17.39%
1-2 Years
17.39%
12 17.39%
More than 2 but less than 5 years
28.99%
20 28.99%
At least 5 years but less than 8 years
10.14%
7 10.14%
At least 8 years but less than 10 years
2.90%
2 2.90%
At least 10 years but less than 15 years
11.59%
8 11.59%
At least 15 years but less than 20 years
7.25%
5 7.25%
At least 20 years but less than 25 years
1.45%
1 1.45%
25 years or more (please comment to tell us the exact number)
1.45%
1 1.45%
Total 69 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How LONG have you been on CPAP?
RE: How LONG have you been on CPAP?
Started in the fall of 2016, so just over 2 years.
One unpleasant side effect is extreme anxiety to the point of being afraid to even TRY to sleep if power is out or for whatever reason the machine is not available.
I'm sleeping SO well... wake up in the same position I was when I went to sleep. I can't go back to waking up every half hour.
Fortunately, my wife is OK with letting me use her machine in the event of a failure... her sleep schedule is so messed up from her pain medication she would just stay up all night doing laundry and go on the machine after I leave in the morning.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Going to be 2 years in April. Missed couple of nights when I was out in the woods last year, otherwise been compliant. OSCAR
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I went to Vegas for a conference back in '06(?) and forgot to take my machine (was packed, just forgot to pick it up on the way out the door).  That was four days/nights of hell.  Been on the machine every night other than those.  If I subtract that from 14 years, where does that get me?  Do I get to add days for the time on the deVillbiss pawn shop machine that lives by the recliner? The nap machine?  Maybe 4-6 hours a week?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I began CPAP in 1987-That would be almost 32 years now. CPAP was in its infancy then and my machine was a very simple constant pressure "Healthdyne" without even a runtime meter much less no AHI count etc. BUT it helped me a lot and I am very thankful I was diagnosed by a wonderful neurologist at Washington University med center in St Louis.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
16 years.
I was on an Emmaus Walk in a camp out in a remote section, where we had to sleep in cots with about 40 of us.

I woke up the next morning after the 1st day and was in a corner with old mattresses piled up high to keep the snoring sounds out. (I don't remember them picking up my cot with me in it and carrying me off - they said I had rattled the curtains) and I was for 3 days left the scourge of the attenders. (this was a religious camp out)

Soon after I went in for the all-night test for sleep apnea and it was positive.

I've used 4 machines and now use a bi-pap. (I also turned 80 last summer - so I'm hanging in there)
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
How time flies, it will be three years for me soon. I must admit that I have had my ups and downs with CPAP to be honest. Bumpy ride. For me the probIem has always been insomnia, since I was first diagnosed I have periods of time when I have to do the insomnia "dance".

My insomnia isn't caused by CPAP, but using CPAP and having insomnia is a very real challenge. 

I so envy those who sleep for hours and hours. I look at their Sleepyhead charts, 7 hours or more of unbroken sleep, and I sigh, wishing so that could happen for me always, and not just sometimes. 

No,  I don't have problems with CPAP, but with sleep, different issue. I'm sure my experience isn't rare, and it can be really easy to begin to associate insomnia with CPAP and the temptation to remove the mask begins to creep in … luckily for me this has not happened very often over the past 3 years, but I can see it becoming a very complicated psychological issue indeed should I ever begin to think that CPAP is causing insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2019, 07:47 AM)TheDuke Wrote: I began CPAP in 1987-That would be almost 32 years now.

That record is going to be hard to beat.   Happy Eyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I recently celebrated 2 years with my beloved CPAP. My life has changed so magnificently with my lack of sleep apnea symptoms!

I've only slept one night without my CPAP. I woke up that morning, and when I went to remove my mask I realized I wasn't wearing it and I'd never turned on my machine. I must have totally forgotten. Such a fluke. I slept ok, but woke up with quite a startle (like I used to, pre-CPAP).

Oh, and I slept in a movie theater once or twice (obviously without my CPAP), and my throat kept closing on me. No fun. Not at all restful.
Post Reply Post Reply
About 3 1/2 years of bedded bliss with my CPAP. Seriously though, glad I found out I needed it. Was truly sick of the early every morning bad headaches.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly 2 whole years. Almost 100% compliance but last 4 months have been not so good due to anxieties because of other issues. Now returning to calming sleep under CPAP.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.