Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How Low Can (should?) I Go?
How Low Can (should?) I Go?
I've been gradually bumping up my pressure to lower my AHI, Snoring and Flow Limitation, and it's been working nicely.

My AHI dropped from .4 down to 0 as I've increased the pressure from 12 to 16. It also dropped my "vibratory snore" down from 6 to 1.

While it's a huge improvement from the 50+ I have without the machine, 16cm seems like a lot of pressure.

Aside from needing a good chin strap are there problems associated with increased pressure?

Somehow it seems like I shouldn't need to set my machine this high, since most other people I know are in the 10-12 range. OTOH, most other people I know still feel like crap in the morning, and I'm feeling pretty great.

Anybody have any thoughts? Is there something that I should know about increased pressure?

Thanks!

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How Low Can (should?) I Go?
Terry I think you're spot on where you need to be. I wouldn't do any further adjusting..... Actually, that's a lie. I just can't leave well enough alone. After a month or so I just have to find something to fool with.

But, do as I say, not as I do, as they say.....

You're doing great!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 12:15 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Terry I think you're spot on where you need to be. I wouldn't do any further adjusting..... Actually, that's a lie. I just can't leave well enough alone. After a month or so I just have to find something to fool with.

But, do as I say, not as I do, as they say.....

You're doing great!

Thanks!

Just looking for a sanity check, since I don't know anybody with a minimum of 16.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 01:29 PM)tcarmen Wrote: Thanks!

Just looking for a sanity check, since I don't know anybody with a minimum of 16.

Terry

Well anytime you need to check your sanity just ask me.... If I don't know the answer I'll ask one of the voices to help us out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 01:29 PM)tcarmen Wrote: Thanks!

Terry

Hi Terry,
I believe PaytonA is running fairly high settings - maybe he'll chime in here. His profile indicates 20cmIPAP/16cmEPAP.

In my case, I experience aerophagia more frequently and with higher discomfort at higher pressures. This is one reason why I was so fortunate to figure out that sleeping on my back was bad. More obstruction meant higher pressures, which caused more leaks and aerophagia. I'm not aware of any other negative effects, but I only started PAPing in January. Maybe others will have more tales to tell.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
If your AHI was 0.4 at 12, why would you increase the pressure to 16?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 03:38 PM)NickDanger Wrote: If your AHI was 0.4 at 12, why would you increase the pressure to 16?

Because I still had a lot of flow limitations and snoring and wasn't feeling right.

Post Reply Post Reply
gotcha - glad it is working for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
As Becker said I am chiming in. Yes my VPAP pressure is 20/16. I do not have any problem with it and there are others on the forum that are at a higher pressure than mine and a lot that are higher than your 16. It does make it a little trickier to maintain a good mask seal.

Sometimes when I have everything going just right I can not even feel the pressure until I turn the machine off and then it feels suddenly hard to breathe. Actually it is only by comparison that it feels that way since it has been so easy to breathe with the VPAP on.

I do occasionally get leakage through my tear ducts but have pretty much decided that is not a real concern.

I think that the only 2 potential negatives are aerophagia and increased central apneas. If you are not seeing either of those, I can not think of anything else that you need to worry about

Worry more about sanity checks from retired_guy, who is certifiable.................certifiably funny that is. he is only slightly off center

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
(08-06-2014, 05:00 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I think that the only 2 potential negatives are aerophagia and increased central apneas. If you are not seeing either of those, I can not think of anything else that you need to worry about

Thanks!

No CAs or anything else, so I think I'll leave it alone now. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.