Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How Many Minutes Below 90% Without CPAP Are Acceptable?
RE: How Many Minutes Below 90% Without CPAP Are Acceptable?
FWIW I know I sound like a Fisher & Paykel mask salesman, but look up the Vitera or Simplus. I side sleep with a normal pillow and these masks aren't upset by it. They have a bellows feature on the cushion that helps. I find these very fast in adjusting and gaining leak free status.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't need a pulmonologist to get you set up for a sleep study.  You could ask your regular doctor to prescribe a home sleep study.  Mine was done at home and I slept quite well in my own bed with the equipment.  It was shipped to me, and I sent it back, all for no cost.  The Nurse Practitioner with my regular doctor ordered it.  I was all easy peasy, and now during covid it probably makes even more sense.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that's an excellent point Deborah K. mentioned. Ask for a home sleep study. Advantage that it's at your home.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'm with Kaiser and both of my sleep studies were done at home in my own bed. I can't imagine why they hold these in a clinic, to be honest--but I'm just a guy on the internet. Perhaps there are good reasons.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also did mine at home. I went down to the pulmonologist and picked up a small kit that consisted of a harnessed battery box that was small and sat on my forehead, and then two prongs came down and stuck at the entrance of my nose Like the Nitrous you get at the dentist office and I went to sleep on my back. Because I was an intermittent sleeper, so he wanted me to use it for three nights then I took it back down to him and he had the results within five days.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
There are many forms of sleep disordered breathing and sleep disorders that can benefit from a clinical PSG test. The home testing lacks EEG and a useful respiratory trace. Since many of these tests can't distinguish sleep time, they under-estimate event indexes, and cannot determine sleep stage arousals, whether they arise form respiratory events or not. In spite of the many advantages of clinical studies, they are often poorly interpreted, and not leveraged to assess more complex problems, but end up as screening tools for CPAP, nearly always result in a predetermined finding of obstructive sleep apnea, or simply inadequate AHI to justify CPAP. This bias is created by Medicare and insurance companies that have only a singular financial interest in the outcomes, and a generally disinterested "sleep medicine" doctor that is a mere functionary to sign off on a technician's report. The science and medicine is gone, and in its place is an incredibly labor intensive, expensive test that almost never yields useful or interesting diagnostic information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider 

I agree with your assessment.  My pulmonologist last sent me in for a sleep study looking for titration report. What he got was a full study that didn’t provide the information he was looking for.

I’ll just limp along with the APAP and hopefully Medicare will continue supplying the expendables every quarter.

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,604 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,424 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 595 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 889 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,599 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Acceptable Large Leak Percentage? kenhh 15 5,006 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Acceptable Leak Rate Columbiabill 7 918 10-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: barney999

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.