Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How To Acquire a New CPAP Machine
How To Acquire a New CPAP Machine
Hello everyone,
I started on my CPAP machine in 2004. I still have my first and only CPAP machine. Recently, I was in the hospital for knee surgery and the Respiratory Therapist told me that my 10 year old machine was a "dinosaur" and that I should get a new one. I would love to do that since my current machine is big and bulky when traveling. Since there is nothing wrong with my current model, it would be very expensive with my health insurance to purchase a newer model. Any suggestions on how I can update my machine without high cost?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How To Acquire a New CPAP Machine
Supplier #2 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Machines choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paisleylighthouse, WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might take a look at the supplier list here on the board at the top of each page and check out Supplier #2. They have either gently used or open-box machines.
Best of luck to you on your decision and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
check out the free local listings as well, like craigs list and Kijiji among others

one can get some great deals but will need to be willing to wait or you could get lucky

(04-04-2014, 02:49 PM)Paisleylighthouse Wrote: Hello everyone,
I started on my CPAP machine in 2004. I still have my first and only CPAP machine. Recently, I was in the hospital for knee surgery and the Respiratory Therapist told me that my 10 year old machine was a "dinosaur" and that I should get a new one. I would love to do that since my current machine is big and bulky when traveling. Since there is nothing wrong with my current model, it would be very expensive with my health insurance to purchase a newer model. Any suggestions on how I can update my machine without high cost?

Post Reply Post Reply
In the US, insurance companies/Medicare will allow patients to acquire new machines every 5 year. When was the last time you met with your sleep doc/therapist? Since you apparently live in Cincinnati metro area, it should be relatively easy for you to obtain a script for a newer machine the next time you visit your sleep doc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 02:49 PM)Paisleylighthouse Wrote: Since there is nothing wrong with my current model, it would be very expensive with my health insurance to purchase a newer model. Any suggestions on how I can update my machine without high cost?
Firstly, as PollCat mentioned, you,re entitled for a new machine every 5 years. Are you getting masks, cushions, hoses and other supplies replaced per insurance replacement schedule?

With the current machine, you have no idea if getting the appropriate treatment and whether AHI, leak are within the acceptable range

Have you had a sleep study since 2004 ... if not, don,t waste your money on new machine
Get a new sleep study done to see whether anything has changed or/and need different type of machine also your CPAP pressure 19 is on high side, people on high pressure usually on Bilevel machines
Post Reply Post Reply
I see many great deals on craigslist, if you have to pay out of pocket.
Check any larger city. I got my S9 and extras for a really good price.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2014, 06:17 PM)GreyParrot Wrote: I see many great deals on craigslist, if you have to pay out of pocket.
Check any larger city. I got my S9 and extras for a really good price.

For all us non U.S. residents, what the hell is Craiglist??? Something like Ebay or such?? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2014, 08:46 PM)Mutineer Wrote: For all us non U.S. residents, what the hell is Craiglist??? Something like Ebay or such?? Thinking-about
Gumtree
As with any ads, some are genuine but one have to be aware of con artists and scammers

Post Reply Post Reply
Craigslist is a massive online for sale or wanted list. It goes by region. You can buy or rent anything from a date to your next murder victim to bicycle tire to CPAP machine.

But let's keep in mind that the sale and purchase of machines without a prescription is illegal. We here at ApneaBoard cannot condone nor encourage anyone to engage in illegal activities.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,445 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,251 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 253 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP machine fell on floor luigi28me 6 503 01-14-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.