Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How To Adjust Pressure For Clear Airway Apneas
RE: How To Adjust Pressure For Clear Airway Apneas
I don't have ramp on.  My pressure starts at 7 and, if necessary, goes up from there.  I got up last night I think 4 times to go to the bathroom, which is a little high for me.  Each time I turn the air flow off and disconnect the air tube.  Usually takes 1-2 min.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, but we have had company for Easter.  Here is an example of a cluster of CAs from a few nights ago with 21 apneas occurring within ~45 min.   In this case, the CAs bothered me: I felt very warm and had to go to the bathroom (adrenaline?).  I changed from Flonase to Claritin at bedtime because the Flonase didn’t seem to working.  The Claritin reduced my nasal/sinus congestion throughout the night.  I currently have no ramp and my pressure is 8-11.  Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure at 8cm evened out and stayed steady until around 4am even through the clusters of CA's. If the CA's bother you, you can experiment by changing EPR from 3 to 2. Observe the results.

I don't expect to see much change as far as the awakenings and bathroom breaks go, and honestly don't have an answer why your sleep is do disrupted.

Have you seen a urologist lately? He/She may be able to shed some light on the frequent awakenings to urinate.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help.  I will try my EPR at 2 tonight.  Many nights I get up only 3 times.  I am 78 and have had prostate problems for a long time culminating in prostate surgery 2-3 years ago, which helped.  Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ice Man, Your clear airway events are very similar to mine and around the same time.

In my case it’s always early in the morning and I find myself trying to go back to sleep and usually I’m tossing and turning. Eventually I just get up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also toss and turn.  Last night I got up at 5:30 and dozed in a chair in my bedroom for ~30 min. and then went back to bed for 30 min. until my usual time to get up.   At the recommendation of my sleep doctor, I am cutting my total time in bed from 8 hrs. to 7.5 hrs. starting tonight.  Trying to reduce my "bad" sleep time.  Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ice Man,
Interested to see if you slept any better. Did you change your EPR to 2?

I also toss and turn, but can usually fall back to sleep quickly. I sometimes wake up earlier than I would like, but instead of going back to sleep for an hour, I just get up.

I find that I feel better than trying to catch that extra hour sleep.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

I changed my EPR to 2 Monday night, but my API was again high at 2.6 with a cluster of CA’s in the last hour.  I was disappointed, but one night doesn’t prove anything.  Last night, I also switched to a really “fat” pillow that my wife took out of a sham pillow case.  It probably was 4” thicker than the previous pillow.  My API was 0.0 with full time in bed: 11:00 to 6:30.  Of course, I will be continuing with everything the same.  My new approach is to monitor my API by quickly turning the machine off and then back on.  If the API is starting to rapidly increase (e.g., .5 in a half hour) or I think I can’t ever get back to sleep, I get up.  If it is way earlier than 6:30 AM, I try to doze in a chair in my bedroom and then go back to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, stick with it for awhile.  The EPR set to 2 did drop the CA's a little.  

I'm not too worried over the clusters of CA's in the early morning hour.  This is normally what we refer to as SWJ (Sleep Wake Junk).

From the Wiki:
Sleep-Wake-Junk - Clusters of apnea and hypopnea events concentrated mainly around periods of sleep-wake transition. In general Sleep-wake-junk (SWJ) is not regarded as "real" since they do not occur during periods of sleep, but may be during semi-awake periods or "dozing".
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
    Here is my OSCAR Daily data from last night (5/5/22).  I was diagnosed with Mild-Medium sleep apnea 7 months ago and have been using the equipment for 6 months (Air Sense 11 Autoset, AirFit F20).  My OA apneas are long gone, then I seemed to get clusters of CAs the last two hours (poor sleep).  Now I am getting many Hypopneas, which people tell me are worse than CAs.  I’ve tried many things including changing my machine to CPAP mode and trying various pressures.  I’m seeing my sleep doctor at the end of the month. I feel worse (tired, sleepy, fuzzy thinking)  than before I started using the equipment.  Any ideas as to how to get rid of these Hypopneas?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,571 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,072 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,554 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 1,007 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 390 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.