Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How To Tell How Long Events Are In SleepyHead?
How To Tell How Long Events Are In SleepyHead?
Inquiring mind wants to know...

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How To Tell How Long Events Are In SleepyHead?
hover over the apnea in the flow rate graph (zoom in) and it will put a box around the apnea and display the time in seconds
Post Reply Post Reply
Click on EVENTS on the left side. It will give you a breakdown of individual events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so my events are between 10 and 16 seconds, with the majority between 10-13. My hourly rate goes from a fraction to rarely a little over 2 per hour. Is that decent?

How can I see events less than 10 seconds?
Post Reply Post Reply
yes those are good numbers, you're doing well. you can set a custom trigger in sleepyhead or scan the night and see if you can pick them up. They are defined to not be apneas though, they will be there but the medical industry won't pay attention to them. You have to draw the line someplace, some have apneas last 120 seconds. The big this is O2 desaturation, less than 10 seconds just does not allow enough time for that to happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 01:04 AM)PoolQ Wrote: yes those are good numbers, you're doing well. you can set a custom trigger in sleepyhead or scan the night and see if you can pick them up. They are defined to not be apneas though, they will be there but the medical industry won't pay attention to them. You have to draw the line someplace, some have apneas last 120 seconds. The big this is O2 desaturation, less than 10 seconds just does not allow enough time for that to happen.

How do I do this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:How do I do this?

In SleepyHead go to File | Preferences | CPAP | Custom CPAP User Event Flagging.

You can set two custom event types and define them by the reduction in flow and duration (SleepyHead gives two suggestions in the dialog box). These will then show up as extra rows in your events chart and (if selected) in the pie chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 01:04 AM)PoolQ Wrote: yes those are good numbers, you're doing well. you can set a custom trigger in sleepyhead or scan the night and see if you can pick them up. They are defined to not be apneas though, they will be there but the medical industry won't pay attention to them. You have to draw the line someplace, some have apneas last 120 seconds. The big this is O2 desaturation, less than 10 seconds just does not allow enough time for that to happen.

While this is mostly the case, enough of the short duration events can wreck a nights sleep. During my sleep study and titration I had no apneas and no centrals. I did have enough hypopneas for a diagnosis of mild sleep apnea with an AHI of 5.8. My baseline desaturation was 96%. I had 21 desaturations, caused exclusively by hypopneas. My lowest SaO2 was 87% for 14 seconds and the average was 94%. I was prescribed a straight CPAP pressure of 8 cmH2O.

It turns out that my diagnosis and prescription totally ignored the main problem with my sleep issues. When my AHI hit 2.6 at 8 cmH2O my titration ended even though I was still having enough events under 10 seconds to cause an arousal index of 29.7/hour. In other words approximately every 2 minutes I would wake up enough to keep me from going from a light sleep to the other stages. I was getting very little of the most beneficial sleep stages. I finally resolved this by downloading SleepyHead, putting my DreamStation CPAP Pro in auto trial and self titrating. I ended up with a straight pressure of 10 cmH2O with very few events, mini or otherwise, and very few arousals. My sleep architecture seems to be much, much better as I feel a lot more rested when I get up.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 347 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 268 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.