Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How/When do you know you need a BiPAP or ASV
How/When do you know you need a BiPAP or ASV
If I needed a BiPAP or ASV machine how would I know? What would be the signs or symptoms?

I don't think I do but after 6 months, I don't think I am there yet. My sleep has gotten much better and probably as good as it is going to get. Daytime naps are a thing of the past. But, my AHI is still erratic. On any given day it can be as low as 0 and as high as 7. I have not had a single obstructive event in months. Maybe I am a bit impatient but I would like to know why BiPAP or ASV?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How/When do you know you need a BiPAP or ASV
Given your second paragraph, you appear to not need one.

The ASV would be for a person who cannot get good results due to central or mixed apnea.
They are expensive; and the insurance companies generally make a person fail on every other therapy mode.

Bilevel is used for people who require higher pressures and need more than 3 EPR; or those with other problems like COPD.
At your pressure, you would not need a bilevel.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your profile, you have EPR switched off. If you were to increase minimum pressure as needed to prevent OA, and turn EPR to 3.0, you would get a sense of what bilevel is all about. Bilevel and ASV are two different animals. An adaptive servo ventilator uses a higher EPAP to cause a breath when a central apnea occurs. Most insurance will not approve reimbursement for ASV unless CAI is regularly over 10. BiPAP / VPAP or bilevel is simply pressure support that makes pressure more tolerable and comfortable. It might be justified for people with aerophagia, or those who don't tolerate CPAP because they feel stressed by exhaling against pressure. It is also prescribed when CPAP pressure is relatively high. I got mine because it's more comfortable, and it actually reduces RDI (RERA) for me. It does not resolve CA, and is still mainly an obstructive apnea treatment device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spent almost a month in the hospital with an ASV bipap. It will force you to breathe even if experiencing central apnea's. My pressures in the hospital were 15 inspiration and 5 expiration. Beside the pressures it also monitors time since you last breath and after a set period will force you to breathe. The hospital thought I needed an ASV for use at home but now doing well with just a type S bipap, which is just an advanced cpap. it does not force breathes.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor who ordered your study would be one to tell you if you needed a therapy change. that would be the place to start.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel PAPs are machines that go higher than 20 and can have exhale pressure difference greater than 3. Other xPAP machines only have an exhale difference of 3 or less. BPAPs are best for those with lung conditions such as COPD.

ASV PAPs are for those with Central or Mixed apnea. They are not for those who only have obstructive apnea.

Both of these kinds of machines are very expensive. A person has to "fail" using CPAP before most insurance will pay for a BPAP. Usually the failure is due to non-compliance due to not being able to breathe against the pressure.

It is fine if your AHI is still unstable after 6 months. It can take a while for everything to settle down. If you are fiddling with the pressure settings, stop. Pick a setting based on your data and leave it. Leave it alone for at least a month, maybe more. Continue to gather data. Continue to watch the AHI and the 95% and all that. And monitor how you feel each morning, during the day, and before you go to sleep. Start a sleep diary. There are so many factors that go into sleep besides the pressure on your machine. Become aware of those other factors while your body and brain adjusts to that.

The problem would be if the AHI is regularly, more than 5 nights a week, over 5. One or 2 nights, not a problem at this point.

I doubt any of us have the same AHI night after night. We have ranges and trends.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When your AHI is 7, is that all clear airway events?

(08-12-2016, 08:21 AM)Rcgop Wrote: But, my AHI is still erratic. On any given day it can be as low as 0 and as high as 7. I have not had a single obstructive event in months.

Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='green wings' pid='173361' dateline='1471823546']

Probably 50%
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2016, 07:05 PM)Rcgop Wrote: [quote='green wings' pid='173361' dateline='1471823546']

Probably 50%

My guess is that the "other" 50% are hypopneas. It would be interesting to see a SH printout showing your flow pattern and events. You might have too much differential between EPAP and IPAP. This can cause an increase in CA type events.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,152 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [CPAP] Help with bipap settings airwaystent 25 1,553 01-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  bipap Innisfree 2 415 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to BIPAP, how does my data look? slaynie 4 519 12-11-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: slaynie
  new to bipap want the best experiance bssford460 3 520 11-16-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.