Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hot blooded need cold air.
hot blooded need cold air.
Using distilled ice cubes in tray with humidifier turned off. Works for two hour then hot in mask from my breathing and am mouth breather. Tried a blue ice pack by intake didn't help. My try 6 pack cooler with hose thru it and ice around it but will have to make it first. Any other suggestions?? I use nasal gel and Don't need the humidifier. Look for a simple idea to get cold air all nite??? Anyone ever froze distilled water in tray??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hot blooded need cold air.
Welcome to the fourum kolsen0767!
I have never heard of anyone trying get cold air pumped into their mask by putting ice in the humidifier. My intiial thoughts are that your machine is not designed for such a thing but, more importantly, I have concerns it may not be safe for you.
Why do you feel you need such cold air?
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kolsen0767,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure how you would get constant cold air to your mask. Hang in there for more suggestions to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't try freezing water in the humidifier tank -- water expands when it freezes.
If your industrious, you could build a cooler tank for the intake. Perhaps use a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler.

Or, get the room air very cool with air conditioning.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If I can't get cold air its way to hot and I take mask off and gasp and choke for cooler air. Sleep with three fans and turned ac down. And I will not be using this pos then because its torture with the hot air and way worse than before, I was in bad wreck and don't sleep good anyways from pain and getting the four hour min is hard and the machine only has made me have more daytime sleepiness. My best sleep is after take mask off. Thanks for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 07:50 PM)kolsen0767 Wrote: If I can't get cold air its way to hot and I take mask off and gasp and choke for cooler air. Sleep with three fans and turned ac down. And I will not be using this pos then because its torture with the hot air and way worse than before, I was in bad wreck and don't sleep good anyways from pain and getting the four hour min is hard and the machine only has made me have more daytime sleepiness. My best sleep is after take mask off. Thanks for any suggestions.
If you don,t use the humidifier, attach the hose directly into the machine and you,ll be breathing room air just the same without CPAP
Without CPAP your sleeping disorder not being treated. CPAP fix airways closing during sleep and keep you oxygenated but don,t fix bad sleep or other health issues but can be detrimental to your general health and well being
How long have you been using CPAP and do you have a followup scheduled with your sleep doctor?

If full face mask feel uncomfortable and cumbersome, try nasal pillows, nasal pillows have a minimal face contacts

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2014, 07:50 PM)kolsen0767 Wrote: If I can't get cold air its way to hot and I take mask off and gasp and choke for cooler air. Sleep with three fans and turned ac down. And I will not be using this pos then because its torture with the hot air and way worse than before, I was in bad wreck and don't sleep good anyways from pain and getting the four hour min is hard and the machine only has made me have more daytime sleepiness. My best sleep is after take mask off. Thanks for any suggestions.

I see you're in west Texas. That means somewhere like el Paso.
El Paso in August -- that's like a blast furnace. I did my basic training in San Antonio TX in August 49 years ago. It was 90F at midnight.

I too prefer to breath cool air. Try separating the blower unit from the humidifier as Zonk suggested. The air from the machine shouldn't be hotter than the room air. The compression of the air is so slight as to make very little compressional heating. See if you can get the CPAP intake in the AC airstream so it's sucking in as cool air as possible.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I need cool air coming in to offset my own hot air coming out mixing with cool from machine, room temp air isn't going to do that. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did dyi for awhile didn't work with nasal mask and nasal pillows. Then had sleep study got ffm first one with silicone was hotter than the one using now. Been five weeks this time with new equipment got Dr appt 14th we are going to have a come to Jesus meeting about cold air. Can't believe I am only person that wants cold air. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Taking my mask off while I am lying down would like taking a fish out of water. I'd have to sit up so I could breath.

The only recommendation I might make is to try different masks. Some masks don't have the same airflow inside them that others do.

My current mask has a lot of flow around the face, much more so than my previous mask. This keeps the inside of the mask much cooler.

BTW I am located in AZ here.. This time of year is hot and a little muggy outside but nothing like some parts of the country where there is a lot of humidity (our secret).

I sleep in my home office room now instead of the master bedroom since it is a lot cooler. Room is typically between 79F - 83F with around 30%-40% humidity at the max. I do have a fan which is on a return off the desk so it is near the center of the room pointed at my upper half when sleeping on twin mattress set. So I am rarely hot at night.

My humidifier is filled with water most of the time but this time of year is off and on pass through. There is no heat being generated there and inbound air from the machine is close to room temp.

The only time the mask gets hot is if I am breathing heavy, but that would be rare. While I am sleeping I have a fairly shallow respiration.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 547 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 607 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 886 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 831 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,269 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 898 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 959 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.