Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How accurate is the data shown in SleepyHead?
RE: How accurate is the data shown in SleepyHead?
sammiller Wrote:I'm asking this question because the downloaded data appears good on the charts, but from a cursory view I noticed one discrepancy. The pressure shows a constant low of 6.00 across the board, but I know that the pressure drops to 3.x because I've seen it on the CPAP display....

...My CPAP is set to a pressure of 7.0 when inhaling and 3.0 when exhaling.

Your pressure is set at a constant 7.0, which is what the chart shows (apart from the two minute ramp time). The three-point-something you saw would be the exhale pressure which is controlled by the flex setting. I'm not familiar with DeVilbiss machines so I can't give you any more detail.

Quote:So this question really has to do with what is the exact data downloaded from the SD card, and what exact data does the CPAP store on the SD card? Is SleepyHead merely getting whatever data is stored with an import?...

... I also wonder if I can look at raw data to find out if the issue is on the SD card. Do you know where exactly (what file stored on the SD card) that sleepyhead is getting this pressure info?

SleepyHead basically reports what it receives from the machine. However the manufacturers all use proprietary data formats which need to be interpreted by SleepyHead. Sometimes there is a translation error which can give an erroneous report. However in your case it looks pretty straightforward. If I recall there was a public domain data review software which allowed you to look at various data files and get an interpretation. I thought I had a copy but can't find it now - I've either misplaced or deleted it. Sad

Quote: I'm not sure what you believe will be accomplished by higher pressures. What exactly on my screenshot are you seeing there is still a problem?

Your treated AHI is 4.26, which is getting up into mild apnea territory. It's by no means disastrous, but could be improved. Many members here have found that by getting the AHI as low as possible the quality of their sleep is improved, along with having more daytime energy. A sleep doc will probably tell you that if the number is under 5.0 then you're "cured". There's no cure (as you know) but there is effective treatment, and more effective treatment. I think in your case there is room for more effective treatment. However if you feel good as you are, then that's fine.

What we're seeing is an AHI that's higher than it could be, with a cluster of events starting about 03:00. With a small increase in pressure (or better still, changing over to autoPAP) it's likely this cluster could be largely eliminated, giving you a more refreshing sleep. The other thing I see is a number of "non-responsive events". Is this DeVilbiss' way of referring to open airway (central) apneas? If so then some caution is required. In many cases reducing or turning off the expiratory pressure relief (flex) can improve the incidence of central apneas. If you're sticking to a pressure of 7 then you hardly need flex anyway unless you have a comorbid lung condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
You asked why you should increase pressure when your doctor and sleep lab found 7 is an effective pressure. The reason is that no one is the same all the time with regard to their pressure needs and apnea. It changes with sleep position, sleep stage, health and other nightly changes. That is the big advantage of auto-CPAP. More importantly, you have implemented exhale pressure relief which was not considered by your sleep study. This has put your exhale (EPAP) pressure below the titrated pressure. EPAP is what controls obstructive apnea. Let me know if you want references and stuff to read on this, but YOU have already changed the conditions, and need higher minimum pressure or auto pressure to mitigate that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question. Am I reading his chat right. On the left columns it says cpap fixed 7. So when it is set that way dose it still use the epr?
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary, I've never used the machine but did look up the manual. It looks like it can use flex in fixed CPAP.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 07:18 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Sorry can't help you with the files on the SD.

As far as your pressures being raised the reason is the less Apnea events the better the sleep. But it's only advice. If your happy with your settings than more power to you.

OK, so then if my machine really is an APAP, then I need to reset sleepyhead, because I initially set it up with CPAP. So then, how do I set it for APAP? Do I have to uninstall the sw and then reinstall to set it up?
sm
There is no one more concerned about your health than you.
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
Sam, you don't need to do anything with #SleepyHead. It will just accept the revised data from the machine. (I've had an APAP and two different types of ASV and their data all coexists peacefully in SH).

Just to re-iterate, all #SleepyHead does is to receive data from the machine (via the SD card) and display it in a convenient format. It doesn't change anything on the machine itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2017, 01:35 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Sam, you don't need to do anything with [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url]. It will just accept the revised data from the machine. (I've had an APAP and two different types of ASV and their data all coexists peacefully in SH).

Just to re-iterate, all [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] does is to receive data from the machine (via the SD card) and display it in a convenient format. It doesn't change anything on the machine itself.

I think you missed my point. I wrote that I set up SH with CPAP set up. It is one of the first things the SH installation asked for. I wasn't expecting anything on the CPAP machine to be affected by this, I was expecting SH to be affected. I thought maybe that if SH was asking what kind of machine I had, that it would expect to handle the data accordingly. But I do take it from what you say that SH doesn't do that. I imagine that SH figures out how to handle the data on the fly no matter what kind of machine it is. Am I getting you right?
sm
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead does not need any changes to settings, preferences or the profile. It will recognize if you change your machine mode to Auto CPAP. Do you have the setup manual (see link at top of this page)? The setup manual will show you how to find all of your current settings and change them if you want. I think your settings are accessed using the following procedure (get the manual to verify):

1. Turn off the machine
2. Right after that, hold the down arrow down as well as the ramp button... while holding those 2 buttons down hit the power button and it takes you to the setup mode...
3. Scroll over using the Select button until you get to mode, minimum and maximum pressure settings and use the up and down arrows to change the mode or levels. The SmartFlex should also be in the settings. When done turn off the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2017, 10:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepyhead does not need any changes to settings, preferences or the profile.  It will recognize if you change your machine mode to Auto CPAP.  Do you have the setup manual (see link at top of this page)?   The setup manual will show you how to find all of your current settings and change them if you want.  I think your settings are accessed using the following procedure (get the manual to verify):

1. Turn off the machine
2. Right after that, hold the down arrow down as well as the ramp button... while holding those 2 buttons down hit the power button and it takes you to the setup mode...
3. Scroll over using the Select button until you get to mode, minimum and maximum pressure settings and use the up and down arrows to change the mode or levels. The SmartFlex should also be in the settings. When done turn off the machine.

Now I'm starting to get familiar with how this thing works. Actually on my machine I didn't have to hold any button at all. To get to the menu you mention, I simply turn it on and select the submenu. I was able to change the values as you suggested. I changed the max pressure to 8.0 and the relax pressure to 6.0. As you can see from the attached screenshot, my AHI improved significantly. So, thanks for your valuable input. It was better than the obscure user guide.

Another valuable input to me that helped my understanding was that the doctor called me yesterday and we had a discussion about the data. I found out that there is a file on the SD card (probably "profile") which the CPAP uses to change these values, which the doctor said was updated to a pressure of 8. So when I get that card back, I won't need to reset anything. Another thing I found out was that smartflex data (which causes the pressure to drop during exhale) is not stored on the SD card, and that is why the SH chart shows a constant pressure.

And concerning the event flags, I was diagnosed as having both obstructive and central apnea, so I'm sure that the non-responsive and most of the hypopnea events are due to central apnea. In a few months I'll get another review with the doctor who might decide to do something about the central apnea if it is deemed bad enough.

Overall, I'm satisfied with these results. I appreciate the help of this forum.
sm Thanks
sm
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 76 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Myair data accurate? dbinTO 2 184 03-11-2024, 05:27 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 292 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,629 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,026 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  "Mode and pressure settings missing; yesterday's shown." manders513 5 719 08-06-2023, 06:03 PM
Last Post: manders513
  Cheyne-Stokes not shown on OSCAR w/ new Autosense 10 !! JoyD. 2 519 02-26-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: JoyD.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.