Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How am I still so tired?!
How am I still so tired?!
How can I possibly be still so tired after being on APAP for 6 months now and my AHI has gone from 25 to usually between 0.1 and 0.5!!!

I’m using a Resmed AirSense 10 Auto, humidifier with climate line hose and Resmed F20 full face mask and get a really good seal.

I have bipolar disorder so I take sodium valproate at 500mg 3 times a day and venlafaxine 225mg prolonged release in a morning.

So when I go to bed I’m pretty sure I have Restless leg....during the night my dreams are wild and I mean if I could write a book about them I’d be a best selling author....I act out my dreams, make noises, kick out etc, I’ve even been known to be humping my bed in my sleep and make a lot of noise and I’m ashamed to say it but not sure if I sweat excessively or my sheets are soaked by other means.

My daytime sleepiness is ridiculous and I pretty much sleep everyday during the day but think this is because at the moment I’m absent from my work. 

I do have a lot of stress underlying at present and usually wake up during the night at 3am every night for a good while before I go back to sleep where I sit on my phone. I know I shouldn’t use my phone but hey ho!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How am I still so tired?!
Do you have OSCAR?  That is first step.  Get it on your computer, take the data from your SIM card, then post some screenshots of a typical night so we can see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this...will go on and post shortly
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How am I still so tired?! OSCAR ATTACHED
                    Please see requested OSCAR attachments

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not an expert, but I see that your sleep is often interrupted. I don't know the reason but I experience the same. I hope you will find help here and finally rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I even sleep with ear plugs and in darkness
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2019, 12:46 PM)Davidacarrick Wrote: How can I possibly be still so tired after being on APAP for 6 months now and my AHI has gone from 25 to usually between 0.1 and 0.5!!!

I take sodium valproate at 500mg 3 times a day and venlafaxine 225mg prolonged release in a morning.

So when I go to bed I’m pretty sure I have Restless leg....during the night my dreams are wild and I mean if I could write a book about them I’d be a best selling author....I act out my dreams, make noises, kick out etc.

My daytime sleepiness is ridiculous.

I do have a lot of stress underlying at present and usually wake up during the night at 3am every night for a good while before I go back to sleep where I sit on my phone. I know I shouldn’t use my phone but hey ho!

Hi David.  

Welcome.  Glad to have you here.

A member here named Mper6794 and others have posted a lot on crazy legs topics.  You might find good info in some of these threads   http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....order=desc

We are just common people not medical professionals so know this is no way even close to medical advice.

What I noticed in right away in your screenshots:
  • How great the graphics are in those charts.  Your Apnea is treated well. Congrats!
  • A surprisingly high Minute Ventilation and Tidal Volume.  

A reported average for males while sleeping is 7.1x L/min.  Your Minute Ventilation in those screenshots is often 12.2-12.8 Liters / min, about 180% of the general norm.

Just a non-professional thought...  If your heart rate is elevated above normal at night as well.  Then my thinking goes toward the medications you are taking and maybe other stimulants like coffee, and especially those you are taking later in the day might be keeping you too jacked up all night to sleep.   If that sounds true might chat with the Doc about ways to tune the timing of meds and other methods to get you a chance to rest at night.  

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! The good news is that you are getting effective therapy for sleep apnea, which is very good for your long-term health. But clearly you are not yet feeling improvements in the quality of your sleep or your daily life. So that's definitely a problem.

I googled the side effects for the two drugs you named, and I see that the possible side-effects of venlafaxine include nightmares, sweating, frequent urination, and tiredness. So it might be worth a consultation with your doctor about your drug line-up.

I also wonder whether you can make another appointment with your sleep clinic to describe your unusually active sleep behavior. They might have some medications to have you try.

To build on WillSleep's suggestions, you can't go wrong following all the rules of sleep hygiene (including the one about screens!):

Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
first, while I have no factual basis for this, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of your meds are contributing to wild dreams. did you have these problems before starting these meds?

I'm 3 years into cpap and it's still rare that I can get through a day without at least one nap. that's after getting my ahi down to under 1.0 on an asv machine. there are dozens of things besides apnea that can interfere with sleep. my problem happens to be periodic limb movement. your task is to figure out what else is going on in your sleep. oscar data, having someone observe you or using a video camera (audio recorder, phone sleep app with actigraphy, etc.) are good ways to try to figure out what's going on.

my sleep doc wasn't interested in my restless legs / periodic limb movement issues; he never mentioned them. but boy did he light up when I mentioned night eating. poor guy, his interest faded rapidly and visibly when I told him, no, not the polysomnia eating while asleep; just that I was awake so much from fragmented sleep that I felt compelled to get up and move around, often ending up in the kitchen.

point being, your sleep medicine folks might be really interested in other polysomnia sleep disorders like acting out your dreams.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 34 3 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 185 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 175 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.