Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How are snore breaths detected?
How are snore breaths detected?
I'm curious if I can see within the graphs on OSCAR how and when my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset detects sleep. According to the docs

"Your AirSense 10 will know you’re asleep no more than three minutes after. That’s because the moment you turn on your machine, AutoRamp is looking for three things:

30 breaths of stable breathing (roughly 3 minutes)
5 consecutive snore breaths
3 obstructive apneas or hypopneas within 2 minutes

Once any of those signs occurs, AutoRamp steadily ramps up your air pressure at a slow, comfortable rate until you reach your prescribed level."

I know how to see obstructive apneas and hypopneas.

Can I see stable breathing and or snore breaths in the OCSAR graphs? If so what do they look like? Even if there is no algorithm in OSCAR to search for and to flag stable breaths I can look just prior to the AutoRamp starting if I know what to look for. Is it stable frequency/ amplitude/ stable shape of the flow graph etc.? What about snore breaths? What do they look like?

I searched but if this has been addressed in other threads please point me to them and disregard this post.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How are snore breaths detected?
When we sleep, the autonomic respiratory nervous system takes control of what is a partially voluntary effort when awake. This has a very characteristic appearance of evenly spaced breath rate with consistent flow rate from breath to breath.  There are many exceptions to this characteristic sleep breathing that result in fluctuating respiration rate and volume, and the auto ramp feature might fail where variable breathing or periodic breathing or flow limitation disrupt the expected pattern. We discuss these patterns briefly in the Optimizing Therapy wiki where we also have illustrations of flow rate wave forms that show flow limitation and snoring http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy  You can also see the Variable Breathing wiki which mainly applies to Philips users. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...athing.png  Here is the flow rate illustration. This is somewhat exaggerated, but we can see snores in Oscar as jagged inspiratory peaks in the flow rate chart often in combination with flow limits.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 856 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 285 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  o2ring not detected by PC goku 10 3,290 12-15-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 702 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 292 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,335 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.