Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How bad is my Cheyne Stokes breathing?
RE: How bad is my Cheyne Stokes breathing?
For me when I changed from straight pap to bipap I also started showing a higher level of PB's, as the PS was raised and pressure overall was raised they have all but gone away. CS breathing I haven't seen, but that's been my experience, also the spikes on his chart and the weight gain and the machine maxing out at its current setting could show a raise in pressure will be helpful. Just my thoughts from my experiences.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How bad is my Cheyne Stokes breathing?
CPAP pressure can screw with the feedback mechanisms that regulate your breathing. This can cause central apnea. It can also cause a waxing and waning of the depth of your breathing.

Neither one is necessarily a big deal. If you have central apnea, it's still just apnea. How much damage it does is a function of how completely you stop breathing, how long, and how frequently. Periodic Breathing is the same way. PRS1 machines will flag you as having periodic breathing even if you only have a fairly small percentage change in the intensity of your breathing.

Get SleepyHead and look at your breathing patterns during these events. Odds are it's not enough of a variation to be a big deal.

There are several causes for this. The most common and obvious cause is that CPAP can cause you wash out the CO2 from your blood due to your lungs inflating more under pressure. CO2 is a major factor in your respiratory drive. This may cause you to not breathe as deeply or at all, and not feel the urge to breathe until your CO2 levels rise again after a pause in breathing. This can be either a total stoppage of breathing or just a rise and fall in your breathing level.

Unless the depth and duration are long enough, it's nothing to worry about vs. normal apneas.

Of course, you could have an underlying heart condition unrelated to CPAP causing periodic breathing, but some PB on CPAP is fairly normal.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,143 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.