Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How can I correct bad mask leaks?
How can I correct bad mask leaks?
I am using the Resmed AirSense 10 On autoset with a pressure range of 8cm to 18 cm of water.
I am using the Resmed FX Mirage nasal mask.
My mask leakage as reported by the Resmed/Myair service is very bad being over 50 litres of air per min when the maximum recommended limit is 24 litres pr min.
I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this.
Are full face masks better at stopping leakage and if so which are the most effective?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How can I correct bad mask leaks?
Try posting your data so then you will have a better chance of getting your answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2017, 09:21 AM)SleepSoldier Wrote: I am using the Resmed AirSense 10 On autoset with a pressure range of 8cm to 18 cm of water.
I am using the Resmed FX Mirage nasal mask.
My mask leakage as reported by the Resmed/Myair service is very bad being over 50 litres of air per min when the maximum recommended limit is 24 litres pr min.
I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this.
Are full face masks better at stopping leakage and if so which are the most effective?

FFM would actually be the hardest to get a great seal as it has the most area to seal against. The less facial real estate it touches, the easier to seal. That is in theory at least, but in practice results vary. Some cannot use anything other than a Full Face Mask; that's all I've used so far, as I mouth breathe at least sometimes. There are wiki articles at the top of the page that will give great pointers and advice. My personal take is keep adjusting to find the best strap setting for you. But, you may have to consider other mask brands, models, styles to find whatever is best for you.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many answers, including finding a different mask, using Mask Fit on your machine, using Pad-a-cheeks.

I’ll answer this by telling you what I did. You might be able to get ideas from my example.

1. I’m newb-ish. I started in September with a P10. No matter what I did, it leaked like heck in every which way.
2. I had to decide that, much as I wanted to make it THE mask, the P10 was not going to work for me, at least for now.
3. I started looking for a different mask. I purchased return insurance on maybe 5 different masks so I could try them out. To keep my life easy, I pretty much only looked at FFMs. I can go to a different style later, but for now I needed to get something that would work.
4. Several models seemed possible, so I selected the least leaky, the most likely to stay in place through the night.
5. I still had bad leaks, but now I had a mask I could work with.
6. I recocgnized overtly that I wasn’t being treated, given the leakiness. Plus, I was seriously sleep-deprived and frustrated. I got assertive and focused on those two thoughts: work on confidence as well as leaks.
7. So, I did an experiment. I ignored my prescription settings (5/15, no EPR). I lowered the top number to 8. I slept for a night at that number. In the morning, I looked at SleepyHead to see how and when there was a leak. 
7b. When after a few days, the leaks looked decent at that number, and I felt confident with  my ability to address them, I raised the pressure to 9.
7c. I did 9 for a few days until I got a handle on the leaks. Then I went up to 10.
8. I continued with this method until I was back at prescription levels with the leaks controlled. The experiment took only about 2 weeks.
9. Plus, I learned a whole lot about SleepyHead, settings, treatment, etc. just with this little exercise. This has let me confidently holding my own with the sleep doc, an important aspect of participating in my own healthcare.

PS I used an FFM in my experiment because I knew I was a mouth breather, at least for now. I wanted to eliminate that issue as a variable in my leak experiment. I also found out that an FFM doesn’t move around on my head and wake me up.

Seriously, I should have done FFM way sooner; I really suffered with the P10 and can’t believe what I unnecessarily put myself through.

Hope this helps you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to point out. You might find that your pressure settings are too high to keep your mask seated. Another reason for the HalfAsleep experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My FFM ResMed Quattro FX leaks around the bridge of my nose.

I cut the adhesive part, not padded area of a large cloth flexible bandage into strips about 1/4" by 3/4" Then place across bridge of my nose. 

Have you checked the mask sizing template? Well before bedtime spend time in bed adjusting mask straps using the "Mask Fitting Setting."

I believe member Sleeprider suggested pulling pillow over your shoulder from behind and rest your face on a corner/edge. This helped me because there is less pillow to press against and move the mask.

Of my 3 masks from less leaking to more
Resmed Mirage Quattro
ResMed Airfit F20
Resmed Quattro FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a link to information on masks that should help. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If the Mirage is like the F&P Eson nose mask you may actually need to LOOSEN it a little to get it to seal better.

The nose masks "inflate" with the air pressure when you turn your machine on, they are a soft and flexible rubber and shape themselves when they inflate to fit your pace contours.

I didn't believe it when someone on this page told me either...  Grin

But it may be worth a try for you, it worked for me.  Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding the Correct Mask snpperhd 6 141 04-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: snpperhd
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 440 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 337 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 138 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 555 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 890 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 373 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.