Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How can I reduce my AHI
Question 
How can I reduce my AHI
Dear Members!

I m a relatively new CPAP user with 5 months of experience. In my sleep study with Night One poligraph 69.0 AHI (3.1 CA 41.4 OA 7.5 MA 17.0 HA) was detected. Right now with DS Auto CPAP 8.57 AHI in Jun. I do not feel that kind of positive changing in my life that should cause to use the CPAP therapy. I wake up at least 2 or 3 times at night and I m sleepy at daytime. I hope it will change. I downloaded OSCAR but its difficult for me to understand results. 

There are some OSCAR experts here with years of CPAP experience. Please, help me with some advise (what can I do) how I can improve my AHI index and give some information about detached OSCAR data, what kind of respiratory problems identify on the charts.

More charts in the first comment.

More charts

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How can I reduce my AHI
Your machine (Phillips) is slow to reacting to apnea events. You have yours set at the lowest possible setting that it can be set (4). You need to raise the min. I would suggest a min of 8.

You have your flex at 3 and many people report they have more events - I would try 2.

Last you appear to have some positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway by the position you sleep. The machine can not help with this. You have to find a way to stay out of that position.

Back sleeping or sleeping on to high of a pillow. Can cause chin tucking. That happens when your chin drops to your Sternum and cuts off your airway.

Many people have needed a collar to stop positional apnea. Please check out my link (in my signature) for collars. It shows people without a collar and the same people with a collar.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2021, 12:26 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Your machine (Phillips) is slow to reacting to apnea events. You have yours set at the lowest possible setting that it can be set (4). You need to raise the min. I would suggest a min of 8.

You have your flex at 3 and many people report they have more events - I would try 2.

Last you appear to have some positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you cut off your own airway by the position you sleep. The machine can not help with this. You have to find a way to stay out of that position.

Back sleeping or sleeping on to high of a pillow. Can cause chin tucking. That happens when your chin drops to your Sternum and cuts off your airway.

Many people have needed a collar to stop positional apnea. Please check out my link (in my signature) for collars. It shows people without a collar and the same people with a collar.

Dear staceyburke!

Thanks for your constructive suggestions. You gave useful advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear staceyburk,

I changed settings exactly as you suggested:  min. Pressure 4 to 8 and A-FLEX 3 to 2.
I realized that pressure instantly changing is uncomfortable for me, so I turned it back to 5, and go on increasing step by step. In the morning then I checked the AHI, I was disappointed because last night 7.2 went up to 14.4. So do you think it can be work later?
Post Reply Post Reply
Add an OSCAR chart like the first one you attached in your first post. The one with events, flow rate, pressure, and leaks.

Mention what exact settings you are using now as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear SarcasticDave94?

Yes, I will do this bit later. 
Otherwise are you agree with staceyburk?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you are.

First: min. Pressure 4 to 8 & A-FLEX 3 to 2
Bit later: min. Pressure 8 to 5

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m sorry you had a poor night. The changes you did actually did nothing. Your min was 5 and your flex at 2 would give you an exhale pressure of 4 - that is same as you had it. There really is no difference.

Centrals are very inconsistent meaning one night you may not have many and the next night there are a lot. So last night might mean you are having more central but you can’t be sure this was just one night. However, you may have centrals that will not be able to treat with this type of pap machine. I’m sure Dave will have more to say about this.

Your other problem is the positional apnea I wrote about last time. You have not done anything to help that. Again look in my signature for collar link. This IS something you cand do that will help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Stacey, 
today I bought one cervical collar. 3M Futuro.
Sorry, but 8 was too much min. for me. I felt it uncomfortable. Do u think I can try adjustment step by step with 1 up? Or I need to change 4 to 8 immediately?

I have no chance to get social security benefits (paying less than 20 %) for BIPAP with back up (an ASV machine or Bilevel ST). There are strict conditions for this.
For BIPAP to get social seurity benefit (paying only 50 %) needs required pressure >12 cmH2O.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Zsolt Wrote: Sorry, but 8 was too much min. for me. I felt it uncomfortable. Do u think I can try adjustment step by step with 1 up? Or I need to change 4 to 8 immediately?

Do whatever will get your min. pressure up.  Go slow or go fast just keep trying.  We all know its hard to adjust but you need the pressure so you (your brain) can actually sleep.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 363 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 340 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 909 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 471 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 626 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
  How do I reduce machine noise with the P30i mask? TiredTom111 3 779 08-07-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.