Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How come the CPAP world hasn't embraced the theory of interchangable parts
How come the CPAP world hasn't embraced the theory of interchangable parts
Hi everyone,
I am new to the board, though I have been reading the threads for awhile now. I have had a Resmed for the last two years. Getting used to it was quite a struggle. I am naturally a stomach sleeper, and have never been a fan of jewelry, so you can imagine what a conflict I had with that CPAP machine. After using it fitfully, over the last two years, a week and a half ago I bit the bullet, and started using it. After a few nights I was sleeping through the night with the mask, on and I have to admit I feel much better. I am having some comfort and leak issues though, and that is what I wanted to ask the community. I am writing this without all the particular details of my machine, but this is more of a mask issue. After going through literally six or seven masks I have found two I like. I have an Airfit F10 and a Quattro. I have been using the Quattro, because it is smaller and has clip on headgear which makes it more comfortable for stomach and side sleepers. But, the Quattro has a terrible cushion. The Airfit on the other hand has an incredible cushion, which does not come off. Does anyone have any ideas for a replacement cushion more like the firm cushion from the Airfit that I could use on the Quattro. Both of these masks are manufactured by the same company, Resmed, I think. I find it strange that the accessories are not more interchangable. Appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How come the CPAP world hasn't embraced the theory of interchangable parts
Welcome to the world of proprietary parts, DParretta.

Unfortunately, as the manufacturers want you to buy whole mask and change to the "latest and greatest" as they see fit, they don't make much that is cross compatible between their own models and especially not with another manufacturer's.

If you can hold out a little longer the AirFit F20 is coming out, which gets away from the loop and post thing and back to a clip, but with a cushion/seal more like a revised AirFit F10 than the older Quattro...hopefully it'll fit the bill.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DPerretta,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day DParretta, welcome to Apnea Board.

The first obligation of a corporation is to maximise value for shareholders. If Resmed (or Philips or whoever) could maximise their profits by embracing interchangeable parts, they'd do it in a flash. Apparently there is more money to be had in doing it the old way.

We should be thankful that the industry has at least standardised on the hose / mask interface, otherwise we would be limited to using Resmed masks on Resmed machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Because they want to charge $28 for 2 $0.25 filters and 2 nose pieces....

what a scam!

Post Reply Post Reply
What's your point? Lots of generic filters. Masks parts tend to be proprietary, but have MSRP and MAP pricing. Discounts are available.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 311 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,582 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Theory of Permanent Damage to Brain / Fatigue cmpman1974 2 689 03-14-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Kuutar
  ResMed P10 parts: What else do I need to make the P10 useable? UncollapseMeThroat 4 572 01-22-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset Parts monksy 3 938 01-11-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: monksy
  DME solicitations for mask parts mel062369 5 671 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.