Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

How could this happen in real life
My father got a call some time back from a hesitant voice asking if he had ever heard of [his deceased brothers name - we can use "Pat Schmoe"] turns out to be Pat's son whom we have not heard from since he was 2, back in 1981. Pat jr (son) now has 2 deceased parents and is curious about his family. Jr's mother had kept him from both sides of his family due to estrangement on her side, and fear someone would take the baby on the father's side -- not a groundless fear, as Pat Sr was kept from one parent by the other of his parents. But she continued to with hold information until her death bed whereupon Jr was told there was an uncle in a certain nearby city.

Now here is where it gets really weird. Pat Sr was a truck driver and lived in SoCal. He sometimes took his common-law wife (not married, CA had no such thing) with him on trips, and on one such trip - into Mexico (ha!) - Pat jr made an early appearance. The parents were "not record keepers" was the tactful way their son said it... They did not bring back a Birth Certificate. Nor did they apply with a consulate or do any other such responsible stuff. By the time Pat Sr was killed in an accident when Jr was 2, the hospital in Mexico had burned to the ground and all it's records with it. My father swore an affidavit that Jr was his brother's son which allowed the non-wife to collect benefits until Jr was 18.

So now we have a young man who was born in Mexico to two (unmarried) US citizens who cannot prove he has a right to be here!!! There is no record of his birth anywhere. Finding a copy of the affidavit mentioned above may be his only hope, but where to find such a document? My father does not know.

Dude would be better off to lie and say his mother gave birth to him in a remote backwoods cottage --- yeesh! but I think he's already gone on record as saying he was born in Mexico while trying to fix this!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
07-27-2016 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: How could this happen in real life
The affidavit is likely filed away somewhere in the Social Security Administration. I'm assuming that's where the the benefits came from.

I don't know if this would resolve the problem; but, it might be a strong piece of evidence.
Your father, his brother, and the son should have identical Y-DNA.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 06:51 PM by justMongo.)
07-27-2016 06:51 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

yes. DNA - that is one option - not certain if the immigration service is that modern Big Grin might have to go to court to get DNA evidence used. Also, the immigration rules for unmarried parents make it a lot easier to use the mother's citizenship. If parents unmarried and you cannot prove the father's "involvement" in the life of the child, cannot claim citizenship thru him. (thanks, Vietnam War) and filing a simple "hey i belong here" costs $600, and if you fill it out without everything they think you should have put they will deny it and you can *never* file again

07-27-2016 07:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

This is one of those problems where lawyers will likely need to be involved.

I would FOIA the SS Admin for everything on the mother and the son.
Of course, since the mother-child relationship has not been proven, the FOIA may be heavily redacted.

I wonder how the son has been able to live under the radar without an SSN.
Perhaps one could file an SS-5 back 35+ years ago; and received an SSN.
I recall applying for mine at age 16 -- it was a very short form requiring no documentation.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-27-2016 08:44 PM
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

that's the funny thing - he *has* an ssn. It used to be printed on it in big letters that he did *not* have the right to work, but it doesnt anymore. Part of the issue is lack of funds, IMO. He never said so, but he wouldnt. that would sound like begging, and he actually just *really* wants family.

07-27-2016 10:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Enviable position if you think about it. No record of him. No papers no tracks.
Work spend cash only. He could be the next Bond James Bond.
07-27-2016 11:00 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

With the permission of the young man, I would contact both Social Security and Immigration and find out what paperwork he would need for proof of citizenship. This is not a rare occurrence, but harder since 9/11 since more documentation is required than in the past. The fact that the mother was collecting benefits for the son should help a lot as a lot of documentation had to be provided in order for her to get the benefits in the first place.

In addition, Mexico isn't that backwards. Just like the US, the hospital sends documentation to the government agency that handles birth and death records. Even if the hospital burned down, those records would still be there. He will have to pay for the documents to be translated, but it's not that costly.
07-28-2016 02:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Monitors

My father was unable to get the birth certificate from Mexico in 1981, and was told it no longer existed, and that was why they needed him to swear an affidavit (which record of that would be valuable) that the boy was Sr's son. Just because he was told that doesn't mean it is true, you are right about that. Sr's SS Death record (i found that online) indicates a lump sum was paid out to the zip consistent with where mom was living in 1981.

Think the bottom line is that it will cost him some money he doesn't have to straighten it out. It's a heck of a situation.

07-29-2016 01:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The real Blue Blocker TyroneShoes 11 1,356 08-03-2015 12:56 PM
Last Post: sptrout
Idea Life on the Cheap SuperSleeper 5 2,334 01-17-2013 12:12 PM
Last Post: Ugly
  [News] Real-time WInd Map Netskier 7 3,453 04-01-2012 06:44 PM
Last Post: Netskier