Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How did you choose your 1st cpap
How did you choose your 1st cpap
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

My DME recommended Resmed machines so i ended up buying S9 Autoset and Quattro FF mask .
..................................................................................................
Katie wrote:
I had no clue, so I just took what the DME gave me.

...............................................................................................
camelady wrote:
My doctor rx'd for the specific machine, DME choose the masks/pillows.

...............................................................................................
Alsacienne wrote:
I just took what the DME brought me ... and have had sterling service ever since. Mind you, it's helped being a member of an internet forum or three and getting educated. Now we discuss treatment - not only the doc and me but the DME and me!
.................................................................................................
Quote [Katie wrote: I had no clue, so I just took what the DME gave me.]
jeffy1958 wrote:
Amen Sister!!! I was lost, blind, dazed, confused, angry , and scared. I later found out it is was "just what the Doctor ordered".

Quote [Alsacienne wrote:... and have had sterling service ever since.]
jeffy1958 wrote:
Wish I could say the same thing. I cut all ties with my DME back in March. Have no regrets, I know more about me and my machine then they could or will ever know. My Dr has been sending my compliance proof to the Insurance Co.
..............................................................................................
archangle wrote:

Baaaaa....

I was a sheep back then, too.
................................................................................................
anneliza wrote:
My RT at the DEM asked me what my concerns were, and I told him about how my nose dries out and gets irritated and then infected easily, so he made sure to give me a machine with a humidifier. Otherwise, I had no input, but I am very happy with my machine.
JudgeMental wrote:
The DME was waiting (like a hawk) outside of my sleep study room. After the Physician left, she said here. "This is the way to put this on. Wear it every night. I'll call you in a week and see how you are doing".. 6 years later and I still haven't received the call.
..................................................................................................
Quote [JudgeMental wrote: The DME was waiting (like a hawk) outside of my sleep study room.]

jeffy1958 wrote:
Is that what you would call - Take the money and run! Ouch!!! I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Any thoughts of sending "Vinny" or "Quido" around to make them an offer...
tomram486 wrote:
ust took what the doctor sold. I wished that I had gotten an auto S8 instead of just an Elite II. So now I have to buy an S9 auto with my own money.
................................................................................................
moeschmoe wrote:
The truth is I DIDN'T choose my 1st cpap. I haphazardly chose my second cpap and even that was my doctor's idea. Problem was, the insurance wouldn't pay for a new cpap because it had only been a few months since I got my original one. The doc said I should have an auto cpap.

The auto cpap was helpful in getting the 90% pressure which then I used on the regular cpap. (I'm getting better results that way)
.............................................................................................
HeadGear wrote:
The DME gave me a month trial on a legacy Remstar Auto. They were working in conjunction with the sleep doc to get me going while waiting for a sleep study. Therefore an auto machine made a lot of sense. That machine worked really well for me but I wanted the glitz and glamour of C-flex. So, at the end of the month, I bought (80% insurance) a Remstar, plain CPAP, with C-flex, which was then set to the auto titrated pressure. That was probably a mistake, but then I would not have known any better! The DME was very responsible, made sure I had a heated humidifier and a 3 year over the counter replacement warranty included. That was good, since I had two replacements in the four years I used this model. As well, they gave me lots of different masks to try and were very patient about it. Then again, how is a newbie going to make the perfect mask choice - not likely!
Quote [JudgeMental wrote: The DME was waiting (like a hawk) outside of my sleep study room. After the Physician left, she said here. "This is the way to put this on. Wear it every night. I'll call you in a week and see how you are doing".. 6 years later and I still haven't received the call.]

Steven wrote:
I see that you'll all think that JudgeMental's reply was funny.

But, that was pretty much my experience 12+ years ago.

I met with my Sleep Doctor on the morning after the titration portion of my 2 night Sleep Study.
We went over the results.
I got a copy of my results.
The Sleep Doctor said that X of Z DME was waiting in the next room with my CPAP (A Sullivan).
All 3 or 4 of us there that morning got the very same machine.

Luckily, there was an AWAKE chapter in my city.
I went to the monthly meetings for several months & got to hear others' experiences.

5 years later (almost to the day), I got my current CPAP which is now 7+ years old.
I researched CPAPs myself & decided that I wanted a ResMed because of the data it provided even back then.
Since the Sleep Lab, the Sleep Doctor, and the DME were all rabid Respironics nuts, I had to insist that I wanted a ResMed.

Because the DME did not stock ResMeds, they had to get one overnight for me to compare it to the Respironics that they did have in stock.

In spite of my really wanting a ResMed, I chose not to get it because of the design of the humidifier water chamber. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet I could have gotten an optional water chamber instead as you can today. But, do you think the DME would have told me that - NO!

Any who, I ended up getting the dumb Respironics I still have today.
...................................................................................................
ameriken wrote:

I didn't know we had a choice?

I guess I'll say it ended up being the tech who monitored my sleep study at the VA. During my first study, the tech put me on a regular CPAP. I didn't tolerate it well and it didn't cure all my apneas, or as he said, I had the whole 'shebang' going on, which included OSA, CSA, and other breathing problems. So, when I went in for the 2nd sleep study, the tech told me that the CPAP wasn't for me, and that the doctor ordered the titration on a regular bi-pap. However when the tech looked at my last study, he said he was somehow going to change the Dr's order and titrate me on a 'bi-pap ASV'. And that is what I am using now.
............................................................................................

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How did you chose your 1st cpap
Since my Dr. and DME are one and the same, I took what the Dr. was selling on that day. It probably didn't matter too much since the AHI on my sleep test was 5. My pressure was set at 9 where it never changed for the next 10 years. My next sleep test, 10 years later, I had an AHI of 67. The pressure on my new machine is 12 and things are fine. When I need a new machine in 5 years, I'll tell them what I want and go from there.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
My DME had a machine ready for me. Before the technician started showing me how it worked I told her it needed to be able to handle the current in Europe, collect data and be lightweight enough to travel. She told me machine did all 3 of things. Unfortunately I didn't know enough about the machine to realize that it collected data but I would need software for it. Thank goodness I discovered the SleepyHead program from this forum. Now I can download my own data and see it.

In 5 years I will tell them exactly the type of machine I want. For now though, I'm happy with what I have. It works and it's easy to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2012, 05:45 PM)Cutter Wrote: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or ​defects.

Gotta love that signature. Too-funny

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hee, agree, I just stole that sig!
Post Reply Post Reply
I became a research junkie after I was diagnosed! Read literally thousands of threads in a number of forums. By the time my titration study was over I was able to tell my doctor how to write the script to be certain that I got the S9 autoset that I wanted.
Post Reply Post Reply
back in 2001 i was tested at night and had an appointment with the sleep doc later that same afternoon. he said i was getting a cpap and i would get a call from a supplier after the insurance had approved it. i think it was a few days later the supplier called and made me an appointment for that afternoon. i went to the supplier. they showed me how to use the first generation respironics cpap and fitted me with a nasal mask. after a few days the nasal mask was traded for a full face. in my world at the time, the machine and the 2 masks were all i knew existed. the masks didn't work well and the machine blew too hard so i was non-compliant for several years. somehow i made my way back to the doc, ditched apria, got a newer 2nd generation respironics cflex machine, had a medical emergency, upgraded to the respironics sys one auto aflex and i'm finally on track. i have used the sys one auto all night long for 24 0f the last 26 days. in the past i never went 3 or 4 days in a row. my entrance into the forum scene didn't come til the medical emergency and i wanted a sys one like my wife had. we learned alot when i ditched apria and my wife got the sys one from a new supplier.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
Hello. I'm new to this whole CPAP thing. Was recently diagnosed with a heart condition that is causing strain on the system at night rather than allowing everything to rest. Was told that my AHI was pretty low (<6). The DME (after much of a battle) surrendered a ResMed S9 Elite with H5i and ClimateLine tubing at my request -they tried to shove some other gear down my throat but I was seeing many happy folks on the S9 wagon. My pressure setting is 7. What I'm wondering is what makes the diffrence between the S9 Elite and the S9 Auto? I'm in the rental/compliance period now seeing good results (AHI <3 last couple weeks -using ResScan thanks to you guys!) so I'm wondering if I should be pressing for an Autoset? Seems like everyone who has been on long term therapy and knows what they are doing is on one? Appreciate any advise - thanks from "just another nubie"!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 12:31 PM)intellops Wrote: What I'm wondering is what makes the diffrence between the S9 Elite and the S9 Auto?
Hi intellops and welcome
Both machines are data capable unlike the Escape and Escape Auto.
The only difference is that the AutoSet is like having two machines in one can used in fixed pressure or auto mode.
If you get the S9 AutoSet would be additional feature might use later if you ever have a problem so you can titrate without having to go for another sleep study.

Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
Thanks Zonk. Appreciate the reply. Is there a "secret" to getting the Rx for an APAP? Something I should be saying to the doc to head in the APAP direction? Enjoy the afternoon!

(03-04-2012, 05:11 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 12:31 PM)intellops Wrote: What I'm wondering is what makes the diffrence between the S9 Elite and the S9 Auto?
Hi intellops and welcome
Both machines are data capable unlike the Escape and Escape Auto.
The only difference is that the AutoSet is like having two machines in one can used in fixed pressure or auto mode.
If you get the S9 AutoSet would be additional feature might use later if you ever have a problem so you can titrate without having to go for another sleep study.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Which ResMed to choose? Morseman 2 542 05-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Morseman
  Did I choose the wrong machine? AaronB123 0 519 01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: AaronB123
Question How to choose new DME MagnoliaSolana 4 854 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: MagnoliaSolana
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,108 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  If You Choose To Use Bottled Water In Your Humidifier khw210 12 2,457 02-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] I need to choose my CPAP! help!! Rocktaze 10 1,463 01-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Which ASV machine to choose dilemna dangood_47 12 3,373 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.