Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How did you choose your 1st cpap
RE: How did you chose your 1st cpap
Hi intellops

I don,t know much how,s your insurance system works but other members mentioned that any CPAP or APAP are billed by the same billing code E0601 by the insurance. Ask your doctor to write on the prescription S9 AutoSet with auto range (example 6-9) humidifier, climate line and "dispense as written" so DME don,t try to pass S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Thanks for the advice Zonk! I'm going to give it a try!

(03-04-2012, 09:05 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi intellops

I don,t know much how,s your insurance system works but other members mentioned that any CPAP or APAP are billed by the same billing code E0601 by the insurance. Ask your doctor to write on the prescription S9 AutoSet with auto range (example 6-9) humidifier, climate line and "dispense as written" so DME don,t try to pass S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto instead.

Post Reply Post Reply
I only started my research the day after I got my DX....and the day before I went to the DME.

The DME favors Respironics (as did the lab), but doc had written that he wanted data (and C-Flex)....though they never look at it. But, that meant I got an M-Series Pro. Which is good, since CPAP wise that was pretty good. I soon got EncoreViewer and was looking at my data (though now I'm trying to figure out how to rescue my data from XP Mode....after I figure out how to rescue the file from my dead computer). From EncoreViewer I could see that there was a problem in the beginning (AHI was increasing gradually over the first few weeks) and take steps to fix things.

Last fall, I decided it was time for a new machine....this time I was open to using any source. So, I got the Intellipap Auto from DeVilbiss. (again, working on recovering my data from my dead computer...)

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
My inclination was to respond with "Who had a choice?" Laugh-a-lot

Back in the mid-90's, after my second sleep study, the center said "here's your CPAP"!! It was a Respironics Tranquility Plus (the one with the dials hidden behind a screwed on cover, on the backside of the unit). Cool
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
At first glance I thought it said:

How did you choose your first C Cup Too-funny

Over this side of the pond we dont get a choice, otherwise everyone would be on a Resmed S9 Auto/Cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
I thank you for this also - going to the pulmonary man to get my Rx today.

(03-05-2012, 12:16 AM)intellops Wrote: Thanks for the advice Zonk! I'm going to give it a try!

(03-04-2012, 09:05 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi intellops

Post Reply Post Reply
I just did a lot of research online from the time of my sleep study until my initial fitting appointment with my DME. I depended heavily on Customer Reviews on various online equipment selling sites. My Rx was for a CPAP machine with a pressure setting of 10.0 and when I went to the DME, they just hooked me up and started telling me about all of the features of the Respironics PR System One Remstar Pro CPAP Machine. Based on my research, I was leaning towards the ResMed S9 Elite as the reviews were very good and according to the specs, the ResMed S9 had the lowest noise levels in decibels and it also had the Climateline heated hose feature to prevent rainout. So, I asked the DME about that machine and she brought out an ResMed S9 and hooked it up and sure enough, it was quieter than the Respironics machine so I decided to go with the ResMed. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the machine had the "Autoset" badge on it so I'm not sure if she made a mistake, but I ended up with the Autoset instead of the plain S9 Elite CPAP machine and have been extremely happy with it. Banana
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
As soon as I was diagnosed I did a lot of research while waiting for results.
I looked around for lightly used cpap machines as I had no insurance coverage and couldn't afford much, but I knew it was life saving equipment that "I MUST HAVE".

I bought a slightly used (about 10min on the blower) respironics DS-100H with a swift barrel type nasal mask (I bought brand new pillows). I cleaned the hose & everything with a cold sterile solution and used long Q-tips to clean nooks in and around the outlet port of the machine. To date this is still my backup/travel machine as I've upgraded to a S9 Autoset this year since my workplace benefits have finally kicked in.

Post Reply Post Reply
I did not choose. It's what the SMG group set me up with .. not sure if my sleep apnea doctor wrote a specific Rx for this machine.

from seeing this board I am quite happy as it seems to be a good unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 08:36 AM)Corkster52 Wrote: I became a research junkie after I was diagnosed! Read literally thousands of threads in a number of forums. By the time my titration study was over I was able to tell my doctor how to write the script to be certain that I got the S9 autoset that I wanted.

Pretty much the same story here. And when the Dr. balked at writing me a prescription for an S9 Autoset (well, to get that you need to have a sleep study showing titration at 10+ and a 4 cm H2O variance...) I told him I don't give a darn about justifying it to the insurance, it's my health, my decision, and it's what I want. If I have to pay it out of pocket, I will.

That said - my diagnostic study was so bad that the lab rushed him the results next day, recommended getting me on an APAP as a loaner, and using *that* to titrate (for the time being) until the titration lab. AHI wasn't super bad, I think they said 85, but o2 levels were terrible, etc. After a few weeks on APAP, and my titration lab, they came up with a pressure of 16 for CPAP - 95th percentile on the APAP was 18+, but with lows of 14 and highs of 19 - looks like a variation of 5 to me but they never saw enough on the sleep study. I maintain it's because I only managed to sleep for about 2 hours.

Long story short - I ended up with what I wanted. Cost me a bit more, but I know I wouldn't have been happy with the fixed CPAP they wanted to foist on me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Which ResMed to choose? Morseman 2 539 05-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Morseman
  Did I choose the wrong machine? AaronB123 0 518 01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: AaronB123
Question How to choose new DME MagnoliaSolana 4 851 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: MagnoliaSolana
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,106 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  If You Choose To Use Bottled Water In Your Humidifier khw210 12 2,452 02-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] I need to choose my CPAP! help!! Rocktaze 10 1,461 01-06-2020, 09:23 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Which ASV machine to choose dilemna dangood_47 12 3,369 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.