Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: How do I fix my RESMED Humidifier?
Ohellyes, I agree with that and will add that it's rare that SS would have a pinhole in it and it would make me wonder if there was enough base left to make welding possible.

Perhaps I'd put a small dot of epoxy on it. I've fixed several refrigerator evaporator coils that way after the owners tried their hand at defrosting the coil using an ice pick. I used a solid epoxy stick make for that purpose but it would be too expensive for one time use. I suggest JB Weld which you can get at any auto supply store.
05-21-2015 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

add to what OMM said and that is that through all of that, the defective chamber could continue to leak and ruin the humidifier which would cost a few hundred dollars or more.
05-21-2015 07:45 PM
alexportnoy Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed Autoset S9
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Autoset S9
Humidifier: ResMed Autoset S9
CPAP Pressure: Unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

You're right guys, if I'm going to have to get an external party to fix it, it won't be any cheaper than getting that $30 part (becomes $50 AUS with postage!).

So I'll give the JB Weld if I can find it at our Masters or Bunnings Hardware chains and try it. If it don't work, bugger it, I'll order from a Supplier.

Thanks for the great ideas! Certainly given me food for thought, which is the purpose of this thread.

Alex Portnoy
PO Box# 1048
Bondi Junction
NSW, 1355
AUSTRALIA
05-22-2015 08:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(05-20-2015 10:59 PM)alexportnoy Wrote:  Who sells JUST the stainless steel water chamber?

Google 36800+water+chamber and lots of places will turn up for less than $40 plus shipping.

Quote:
(05-20-2015 09:36 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote:  Personally I would want a new tank but if you feel you must try to save it search for silver soldering stainless steel. It isn't difficult. Possibly you could find a jeweler up for giving it a go. Can't remember if you need black or white flux and absolutely cadmium free solder! of at least 65 % I say jeweler because they have the small torch tips to possibly do this without distorting it. Likely the parent metal is flawed and or it will distort and make it a wasted effort. Remember it is "stains less" steel not "lasts forever steel".

Thanks, will take your advice and ask a Jeweler around locally first.
Actually, my guess is the tank is actually the aluminum one (which gradually corrodes) instead of the stainless steel one. I think you cannot cannot solder to aluminum.

In any case, I recommend not to even try to have a repair done (except perhaps with tiny amount of epoxy glue), regardless of the type of metal and even if someone offers to do it for free, because the tank bottom should be absolutely flat to work correctly, and any welding or soldering would (I think) likely warp the bottom at least a little.

Be careful when washing the tub, because even a very small dent or nick can cause humidifier to have trouble heating the tub.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 05:25 PM by vsheline.)
05-23-2015 05:19 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Hi Alex,

I think we can edit our posts for a few hours or days after we post. I suggest you remove your address from your last post, to avoid getting junk mail or worse.

I think there are robot programs which harvest information from the web and aggregate it into list for selling to direct marketers.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 05:31 PM by vsheline.)
05-23-2015 05:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Rob S Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP 6, 90% IPAP16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-22-2015 08:08 PM)alexportnoy Wrote:  You're right guys, if I'm going to have to get an external party to fix it, it won't be any cheaper than getting that $30 part (becomes $50 AUS with postage!).

So I'll give the JB Weld if I can find it at our Masters or Bunnings Hardware chains and try it. If it don't work, bugger it, I'll order from a Supplier.

Thanks for the great ideas! Certainly given me food for thought, which is the purpose of this thread.

i would advise against using any epoxy or glue. you will be inhaling the solvents all night long. i'd say inside your cpap is not what they intended in the warning labels about well ventilated.
05-26-2015 02:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you use a humidifier? zonk 13 5,779 Yesterday 11:31 PM
Last Post: pk53
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 888 12-07-2016 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 477 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 239 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 534 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 397 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 747 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas