Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I fix my RESMED Humidifier?
How do I fix my RESMED Humidifier?
Hello, ladies & gentlemen.

Just looking for some assistance...

I recently bought a secondhand Resmed Autoset S9, which works fine.

However, I have a problem with the the H5i Stainless Steel Water Tub at the bottom (Resmed Part#: 36800). It gets filled with water & then gets inserted into the Autoset's H5i Humidifier.

It has a very tiny, microscopic hole, from water corrosion. This means it leaks water onto the base plate of the Vaporiser, which is bad.

Is it possible to block this hole, using gaffer tape or anything else? Solder?

I don't want to spend $100 AUS for a complete new water chamber just for this hole!

Can I buy JUST the stainless steel base somewhere for $20 or less?

Are there any other solutions anyone can think of?

Alex Portnoy,
PO Box# 1048,
Bondi Junction,
NSW, 1355,
AUSTRALIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I fix my RESMED Humidifier?
I wouldn't use anything on the water chamber to repair a hole; if the repair doesn't hold and it ruins the humidifier, it will be a whole lot more expensive than a new water chamber. The chamber you speak of (the bottom part) is more than half of the chamber as all that is left would be the top. I have never heard of anyone selling the bottom part of the chamber only.

I would recommend looking at the suppliers at the top of the page and see what they cost in the US. Hopefully not $100 and there are some that sends to other countries.

Just my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alexportnoy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You can get the stainless steel water chamber without buying the whole humidifier.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alexportnoy

Suppliers #2 and #10 ship to Australia, prices are much lower than Australia
You'll need to order some extra items to justify the shipping cost and currency conversion, such as spare water chamber, mask, cushions, hoses, etc ... that's what I do once a year
Suppliers List: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Both standard (36803) and cleanable (36800) water chambers can be opened for cleaning, 36800 cost few dollars more and might last a bit longer. ResMed does not sell separate parts for the water chamber as far as I know
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I would want a new tank but if you feel you must try to save it search for silver soldering stainless steel. It isn't difficult. Possibly you could find a jeweler up for giving it a go. Can't remember if you need black or white flux and absolutely cadmium free solder! of at least 65 % I say jeweler because they have the small torch tips to possibly do this without distorting it. Likely the parent metal is flawed and or it will distort and make it a wasted effort. Remember it is "stains less" steel not "lasts forever steel".

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 09:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: You can get the stainless steel water chamber without buying the whole humidifier.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Who sells JUST the stainless steel water chamber?

(05-20-2015, 09:36 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Personally I would want a new tank but if you feel you must try to save it search for silver soldering stainless steel. It isn't difficult. Possibly you could find a jeweler up for giving it a go. Can't remember if you need black or white flux and absolutely cadmium free solder! of at least 65 % I say jeweler because they have the small torch tips to possibly do this without distorting it. Likely the parent metal is flawed and or it will distort and make it a wasted effort. Remember it is "stains less" steel not "lasts forever steel".

Thanks, will take your advice and ask a Jeweler around locally first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any proficient heliarc (TIG) welder can handle stainless steel. Much less distortion versus gas welding when working with thin sheet items. Check your local welding shops for someone who can help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 10:59 PM)alexportnoy Wrote: Who sells JUST the stainless steel water chamber?

Look at the supplier list at the top of each page on the forum. There are several that sell the chamber (that is the stainless steel bottom part with the fill line included with it and the top that goes on it) and will ship internationally.

Apnea Board Forum
Rules Donate Supplier List Wiki CPAP Setup Manuals SleepyHead Search Member List Help
Post Reply Post Reply
If you really do want to try a repair (personally I would not), I would advise against anything that involves localized heating to reasonably high temperatures. The potential problem being the flatness of the finished surface. You need as much contact as possible (even on a microscopic level) between the tub and the heat plate to ensure good heat transfer. With either welding or soldering, you are liable to take the bottom of the tub out of flat and potentially make it unusable. I would not be happy to pay for a repair and end up having to buy a new one anyway.

You could have the SS tub impregnated to eliminate the leakage. If you know where the leak is you may even be able to find spot impregnation kits on the Internet somewhere that you could do yourself. Google "Diamant polymer" or others. If you go to a commercial impregnator, I would advise against impregnation with sodium silicate which is very old school. Today's polymer impregnants are much better.

Good luck,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This has nagged me for the last 20 hours or so. I don't know why. It really shouldn't - do what you want to do. So this is just an editorial. My opinion. Yeah I have one of those too.

This is one of those situations where it is just better to say "screw it" and buy the new part. By the time the leg work is done to find some one that can do it, and someone that can do it and then *will* do it, and then you take it to them, and then you pay them to "fix" it, and then you may not have a workable tub, but a totally screwed up one and then you have NO tub and then you end up having to just go ahead and buy a new tub.

New tub is less than $30 USD from vendor 2, and maybe that much more again to ship it to AUS, replacement seems cheap. Even if it ended up having it come from an overpriced AUS vendor at $100 AUS.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.