Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pattern of diminishing flow
Pattern of diminishing flow
I am getting a lot of this, especially before waking. Any ideas what is going on? If it was not for this happening for about an hour, my AHI would be 1.0, but this cluster of 'events' pushes up the average, variously classified as CA, H, or as nothing at all.

EPR=3 and CPAP=6.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pattern of diminishing flow
Sleep / Wake junk. During periods of transitional sleep when awakening or falling asleep, it is not unusual to see some periodic breathing and central apnea. This occurs as the autonomic breathing transitions to conscious breathing and vice versa. We tend to see more of it in new users, and it usually goes away in time.

In your example, your breathing effort reduces to a near hypopnea or CA, and the sudden increase in flow indicates recovery breathing. This appears to be on a cycle of about 1/minute. It is unlikely to be a problem unless you were to see this pattern throughout the night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 01:25 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: I am getting a lot of this, especially before waking. Any ideas what is going on? If it was not for this happening for about an hour, my AHI would be 1.0, but this cluster of 'events' pushes up the average, variously classified as CA, H, or as nothing at all.

EPR=3 and CPAP=6.
Are you clearly asleep at the time this is happening?

Or are you just dozing---i.e. lying in bed drifting in and out of sleep?

It matters a lot:

If you're just dozing, then it's most likely sleep-wake-junk. And it's best to just not worry about it.

If you are pretty sure that you are sound asleep at the time this is happening, it could be that you are sensitive enough to the pressure that it's causing a bit of a problem with your brain sorting out the CO2 levels in your blood. In other words, these could be central hypopneas and wannabe hypopneas rather than obstructive ones.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
The time scale on that graph shows this happened at 5am. I would have been really asleep then. Since starting CPAP I rarely wake up any more during the night unless a sore shoulder or something is uncomfortable.

If I am just dozing lightly, that would be 6-7am

I see the Dr next month and am thinking about suggesting a change to APAP mode, 4-7 or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are able, post us a screenshot. Include the events graph, flow chart, and the stats to the left.

Maybe we can help you with what to talk to your doctor about.
I think switching to APAP mode is a good idea. You can always set back to Cpap mode if needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a screenshot for the same night as the previous details graph. That detail was from the cluster of events starting just after 5am.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry too much about the cluster of events.
Often we are pretty sure that we're asleep as a certain time, but in reality we're not. I sometimes experience the same clusters (usually clear airways) in the early morning hours.

Also, I see you have EPR set to 3.
With your straight pressure of 6, the Cpap can't drop 3cm on exhale. In other words, the Cpap can't drop past 4. Also, some have reported more clear airways with EPR set high.

I would still talk to your doctor about APAP mode. My 2 cents......try a pressure range of 5-8 and watch your data for awhile. I would also try EPR set to 1.

Good luck and let us know what your Doctor thinks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not call that a cluster of events but that is me. Looks to me like your sleep got pretty light during that time. Almost looks like sleep/wake junk. The moral of my blathering is that I would not worry about it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if similar sleep/wake junk is what happened during my sleep study. They don't share the timeline data, though I suppose I could get it if I asked. On the other hand, they do not let you really sleep late enough that it would show up. Maybe that is on purpose, if they know that data collected in the last hour of sleep is suspect anyway.

I know that with CPAP I sleep better than before.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 262 9 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 311 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 113 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,613 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.