Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I get my Sp02 down, yes, down?
How do I get my Sp02 down, yes, down?
Or, looking for the science behind this.

I am using this title to attract experienced and knowledgeable users. I hope it works.

My AHI is all clear airway apneas (well almost) and I believe they are harmless, BUT, I feel I should be able to eliminate them. Here’s why.
I got a recording oximeter and finally got a good synchronization for the last half of the night. Upon close examination it appears the clear airway apneas occur at high oxygen levels (95% and above) and higher oxygen occurs at higher pressure. That is why I believe they are harmless. In addition, I am getting enough sleep as I have eliminated my afternoon naps and cannot stay in bed more than 8 hours.

HOWEVER:

For the entire month of December, my average AHI was 1.08 and so far this month it ranges from 3 to 4.

I have 3 screen shots to demonstrate this –

1. Is the full night with oximeter readings for the last 4 hours. This is a typical day in February.
2. A small section of that same night.
3. And a typical day in December.

http://imgur.com/a/XJifT

Here are MY thoughts on why my AHI has suddenly taken a jump.

I have allergies to Bayberry. It is a seasonal problem that occurs January to March each year, causing my nasal passages to become restricted. This might cause my flow limitations to increase my pressure greater than needed to eliminate any OA’s thus the higher SP02 levels.
Here are MY thoughts on how to eliminate the clear airway apneas.

1. Switch from a large pillow to a medium to reduce the flow.
2. Increase my EPR from 1 to 2 (or even 3). EPR of 2 is the most comfortable followed by 2.
3. Decrease humidity from 6 to 5 or even less. I live in Florida and even on a dry day, the humidity is 40% or greater.
4. Lower my maximum pressure to the point I just start to get obstructive apneas. My 90% pressure has been a very constant 8 cm for the last 11 months.

Please feel free to “Correct me if I am wrong”.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I get my Sp02 down, yes, down?
Actually increasing your EPR may result in increased CO2 washout thus causing more CA's .
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here  is an off the wall thought how is your hemoglobin could
it be a tad high ?  You might try donating a pint of blood besides
there are some studies showing that in men who donate at least
twice a year there risk of a heart attack is substantially lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
mmmm.... SpO2 is the percent of oxygenated hemoglobin.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Notice that your respiratory rate is higher lately when you are getting the higher AHI readings. Not sure if that is a cause or effect? With more breathes would that mean taking in more oxygen?
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's put this where we can see it. 

[Image: 8nHeXfT.png]

And the answer is, turn EPR off, set minimum CPAP pressure to 6.6 and maximum CPAP pressure to 6.6 or use CPAP mode. 

With regard to your question, EPAP is what holds the airway patent, and prevents obstruction. EPAP is also where oxygenation occurs. IPAP is for ventilation, and as noted earlier, with pressure support more CO2 is blown off, and for most of us, this can affect respiratory drive. So your problem is not oxygenation, that is a good thing, the lack of drive and consequential CA is from over-ventilation. The solution above proposed to deal with all of this. I would not expect to see this effect with only EPR of 1, so I think holding pressure stable may be a good move as well. If this works, you can experiment with EPR and see if it triggers more CA. If we see more OA, we will gradually increase maximum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://imgur.com/a/q8VDr

I do not know why the link did not work properly.  This should get all three graphs.

Very interesting responses.
In my college days, I did donate blood.  One time I was not allowed to donate due to low hemoglobin. I think that was because poor diet and too much partying.

I have tried EPR "off". It was some better but not much. I probably need to try that again.

I think my respiration does go up and I think that might be part of the cause.

I think lowering my max pressure might be key.

Thanks for the responses.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2017, 01:20 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: And the answer is, turn EPR off, set minimum CPAP pressure to 6.6 and maximum CPAP pressure to 6.6 or use CPAP mode. 

This is the result of these changes.
I left the ramp to auto starting at 5 cm. and min at 6.0 cm.

Here are the results.

http://imgur.com/a/Krfx4

I am not sure what happened to the SP02 graph. I stopped recording shortly after 3:00

I have had good results in the past so I cannot say this is fixed but it is the first time my CAs were less than my Hs.

Also, I was much more comfortable during the night.

I think we are going in a good direction.

Thanks Sleeprider for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Winner winner, chicken dinner....I'd keep that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 11:59 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Winner winner, chicken dinner....I'd keep that.

May have spoke too soon. Last 2 nights going up to 2 to 3 range. But still less CAs, more Hs. And good sleep. 

Will post more when I have more data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best way to record SP02 for OSCAR Ghandi 2 430 09-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Ghandi
  [CPAP] Initial Sleep onset CA's associated with lower Sp02 ducksinerr 1 527 07-23-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Lower altitidue & improved Sp02 readings MCS2014 4 736 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oximiter Sp02 Check Phil7 5 809 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  concern about SP02 levels Snowy2020 24 2,388 10-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: kbauhs
  SP02 levels and sleep apnea, pressure etc. revbkelly 10 1,392 07-21-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Definitive list of SP02/Pulse Oximeters for Oscar? tsitalon1 1 928 01-29-2021, 12:02 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.