Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I increase humidification?
How do I increase humidification?
I have the tube temperature turned up to max, and use the auto setting, as I got rainout when I tried to max the humidity as well as the tube temp.

I still wake up with a dry mouth, and sometimes a dry cough. The room humidity is about 60%, according to a cheapo gauge.

I am planning on getting a hose cover, but do not have it yet.

I fill the integrated humidifier with distilled water, to the fill line. Oddly, in the morning, after about 6 hours of use, it appears that almost no water has actually been used. Is it working correctly on the auto setting?

I'd like the air coming through the mask to be jungle-like: hot and humid. Any ideas on how I can achieve this without drowning in rainout? I am considering getting a room humidifier, and relying less on the machine humidifier, but that will bring about a new set of issues, as I might end up with mold in the entire bedroom if I'm not careful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I increase humidification?
(09-22-2015, 07:31 PM)AirPlease Wrote: I have the tube temperature turned up to max, and use the auto setting, as I got rainout when I tried to max the humidity as well as the tube temp.
Perhaps, you're on "Manual" mode, where you set tube temperature and humidity level independently
Climate control on "Auto", protect against rainout and you only set tube temperature and the machine does the rest

As for water usage, how the leak is doing .... beside the happy faces, the machine sleep report display leak number ... what is this number?

SleepyHead software (link at the top of the page) going to report more stuff and detailed data graphs
This would gives us a clearer idea of what is going on

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AirPlease,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAp therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 07:55 PM)zonk Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 07:31 PM)AirPlease Wrote: I have the tube temperature turned up to max, and use the auto setting, as I got rainout when I tried to max the humidity as well as the tube temp.
Perhaps, you're on "Manual" mode, where you set tube temperature and humidity level independently
Climate control on "Auto", protect against rainout and you only set tube temperature and the machine does the rest

As for water usage, how the leak is doing .... beside the happy faces, the machine sleep report display leak number ... what is this number?

SleepyHead software (link at the top of the page) going to report more stuff and detailed data graphs
This would gives us a clearer idea of what is going on

No, I am on auto mode - I've checked several nights now, as I've played with the settings. I only used manual until I had the rainout, complete with gurgle.

I have no mask leaks. I've had a great deal of success with my mask fit.

I'm in the process of figuring out the software - hopefully in a few days.

What I think is noteworthy is wanting humidity, but not using any (or a very tiny amount) of the water in the humidifier - it seems like it is not getting hot enough, perhaps? It feels warm to the touch in the morning, but not anywhere close to hot.

Or should I do a "humidity titration" study, where I put it on manual, and gradually increase the humidity each night, and note the water used precisely? That's probably what I will do, but in the meantime, how much water do people typically use up each night?

Is my goal of "hot and humid like a jungle" going to help my dry mouth and throat, or should I try the rinses I've seen mentioned in this forum instead?

Thanks!

@trish6hundred: thanks for the encouragement!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 09:39 PM)AirPlease Wrote: No, I am on auto mode - I've checked several nights now, as I've played with the settings. I only used manual until I had the rainout, complete with gurgle.

I have no mask leaks. I've had a great deal of success with my mask fit.
Yes ... you're, I misunderstood
Coffee

Water usage depend on pressure settings, humidity level, leaks, mouth leak and mouth breathing
Mouth breathing cannot be helped much using full face mask, keep a bottle of water at the bedside table so you can top up during the night
Biotenne mouth wash helps with the dry mouth
Hose cover may helps somewhat, but not necessary with the heated hose

Normally, I use 1/3 or bit less of the water chamber, with temp 23C and humidity 3

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 09:58 PM)zonk Wrote: Mouth breathing cannot be helped much using full face mask, keep a bottle of water at the bedside table so you can top up during the night

Oh oh, I mouth breathe a lot. I'm starting to think that there is no great solution here - just optimizing what I can, and having that water bottle handy?

I had hoped that getting a high temp/high humidity air mix would effectively eliminate the dry mouth issue, even if I keep mouth breathing... Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you live in 60% relative humidity, the humidifier won't add much humidity to the air.
It's a pass over type humidifier. The air passing over the water surface picks up humidity from the water in the tank that's slightly warm.
I think you are getting all you can from the humidifier.

Adding a room humidifier probably won't help as the machine's humidifier will then transfer less H2O to the air; and you do not want the blower unit to take in such high humidity that in rains in the blower unit and damages the the flow and pressure sensors.

I looked up your HEPA filter -- it's huge.

Dry mouth is somewhat common among PAPers. I have it. We've never taken a poll on dry mouth -- might be interesting.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting the humidity high enough will help. The real solution even with a full face mask is to keep your mouth closed and block your mouth off from your airway with your tongue. I use a full face mask and have tried a number of things. I still use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth and I keep the humidity fairly high. I taught myself to keep my mouth blocked off with my tongue and that worked for a quite a while. I got to the point where it was not working again and after a number of failures with chin straps finally found one that worked and it immediately stopped my dry mouth.

So try teaching yourself the tongue seal and if that does not work your next step is probably a chin strap.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the responses!

The HEPA filter was me having had enough of the allergies - I decided to stop fooling around and get as serious as I could, without going crazy with some sort of clean room setup. (I don't respond well to allergy meds, unfortunately). I want to use nasal pillows, ideally, but sometimes my nose is clear enough for that, sometimes it isn't.

Interestingly, I did keep my mouth closed with the nasal pillows during the sleep test, so I can actually do that, if my nose allows.

Great point about not destroying the machine with more humid room air.

The water bottle is looking better and better!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been very humid here in NC recently, and I've been quite stuffy with seasonal allergies. On my ResMed, I've turned up the temp to 86 degrees and the humidity to 6. I don't have a mouth breathing problem, usually, and I have worked on mastering the tongue to roof of mouth technique. Usually I run 78 degrees and 4 humidity. At the higher settings, though, I've had no rain-out, though I do get an occasional moisture drop, which is fine. Went through 3/4 a tub of water last night.

As I understand it, Auto temp runs the climate line hose at 80 degrees, and shoots for 85% relative humidity. When I am stuffy, that's not enough for me. Smile

But back to the mouth breathing - have you tried a chin strap?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,261 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 431 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,266 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 405 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,211 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [CPAP] Can a chin strap increase your AHI? Kinnu 4 681 10-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.