Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I maintain medicare compliance while in Mexico
RE: How do I maintain medicare compliance while in Mexico
The specifications for the  Resmed AirCurve 10 asv, which is the machine I will be using, says that it is good up to 8500 feet, which is about the altitude where I will be living. I have not needed medication for the altitude in my previous trips and hope that I won't need them now. My concern is for the asv settings. I don't know if the machine will be set to auto, or if specific levels will be input. If specific levels are entered, I don't know if they would have to be changed because of the altitude. I will have to wait until they bring and set up the machine to find out and then and talk to my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:19 PM)Sterling147 Wrote: The specifications for the  Resmed AirCurve 10 asv, which is the machine I will be using, says that it is good up to 8500 feet, which is about the altitude where I will be living. I have not needed medication for the altitude in my previous trips and hope that I won't need them now. My concern is for the asv settings. I don't know if the machine will be set to auto, or if specific levels will be input. If specific levels are entered, I don't know if they would have to be changed because of the altitude. I will have to wait until they bring and set up the machine to find out and then and talk to my doctor.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
One additional thought ... what are you planning in terms of surge suppression and a backup battery given Mexico's power issues?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2017, 03:59 AM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(05-24-2017, 07:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Part of that does depend on the DMEs policies. Apria has you sign a contract with them when you first start and technically the possession of the machine never reverts to the patient but it is up to them whether or not they want to enforce it. I still have the machine that they replaced.

I am afraid that I am not up on the rest of the problem.

Best Regards,

PaytnA

Under Medicare, you rent the machine from Apria for 13 months and then it is yours free and clear. Apria will send you a letter of ownership if you request it. This happened with my S8 and now with my S10. The downside is that you are now responsible for your own maintenance. However, a call to ResMed will hook you up with a local DME for troubleshooting and possible replacement within the warranty period.

Also, you may wish to add your unit to your homeowners' or renters' policy as a scheduled medical item.

If there is a signed contract, I believe that may trump Medicare's policy.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for mentioning the surges, I had forgotten about them. I have not experienced them but have heard about them. I was not aware or thought about needing battery backup. I will have to use a good surge protector and purchase a battery backup if necessary. Luckily, I didn't have any problems with my CPAP when I was there. I will also have my current CPAP as a backup in case of emergency. 

I will have to wait until Tuesday to find out about contracts and the DME's rental and compliance policies.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Aircurve 10 ASV up to 10,000 ft (multiple nights) with zero issues. I have noticed a slight increase in average EPAP and in my case, more pressure support because I get significantly more centrals at that altitude. The machine runs perfectly!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that is reassuring.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got my asv yesterday. Found out that compliance does not have to be face to face. If the wireless signal is not accessible from Mexico City I can send the sd card for verification or they said I could upload the data on the Resmed website and send it from there. The actual machine is listed as rental, while all other items are listed as purchase. I did not have to sign a contract. I have to follow up on what the rental actually means. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 151 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 669 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.