Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow?
How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow?
How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow?  Thanks! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow?
Do you want to remove the fiber packing from the diffuser or the entire diffuser so that no air blows out? I believe others have removed the packing by teasing it out through the holes with a fine needle or wire. I don't believe the diffuser itself can be removed from the elbow. I have the F20 with the same elbow. As you probably know, the diffuser is necessary to prevent you from rebreathing your exhaled air.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thanks.  I'd like to remove the "covering" that's over the holes, aka the lint trapper.  Is that even possible?  Would it ruin the elbow?
Post Reply Post Reply
Removing the fibrous material under that ring is possible.  Just tedious.  A small paperclip or pin should work.
It's possible that will also make the mask noisier as there will no longer be anything to muffle the sound of the air exiting the vent holes.

Any particular reason you want to remove it?

I would suggest getting a second elbow before you start doing anything with this one.  At least you will have a spare in case anything goes wrong.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I have two or three older-generation elbows that we like.  My husband and I (we both use cpap) don't want to bother with the lint guard (or cover, it's called?) and picking stuff out on the newer-generation elbow.  I'm wondering if the cover is removed, then would it be much like the older-generation elbows ... maybe not, but thought that we'd try.  Sounds like it's not advised?   Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
1.  Use a box cutter and cut the diffuser "cover" in a very small half circle ON the "bottom" so to speak where the elbow diffuser would be at just above or below your lip.   I think if you cut it on the "top", the increased air stream (if any) could go into your eye.  I think so but I have no proof--just my thinking.   You think this is going to be difficult, but the diffuser plastic cuts like cheese!   Start small and increase the size of the semi-circle hole if you need to.  I think you should leave at least 1/2 of the diffuser cover.

2.  Cut the diffuser packing material once in the middle of the semi-circle opening you made.  You don't have to be perfect--just hack it  or cut it with the point of the box cutter---a small box cutter is best for this job.

3. Use some sort of pic (I used a dental pic from the dollar store) and stab one of the cut ends of the packing and just pull it out.  It just swings around the diffuser without any resistance. You'll be amazed and vow next time to make the hole smaller!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 120 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,861 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 13,104 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 417 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Need help with F20 Airfit leaks (elbow?) jaytee80 4 1,398 09-22-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 742 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 489 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.