Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
Thumbnail sketch of history:

Started CPAP 7/15 and used for 3 months, had to return as failed compliance, pressure setting 18, couldn't breathe out against pressure

No CPAP again until 3/17, time period between was preparation for my bariatric sleeve stomach surgery for weight loss, resulted in 100 pound loss

On BiPap 3/17 to about 4/17, was failing compliance already, more tired with than w/o BiPap, CA discovered and going to ASV after passing heart echo test

8/11 after fighting to get ASV, I finally have ResMed ASV at home as result of 6/30 PSG for ASV

Above results in I'm still an xPAP newbie IMO

After posting a rough looking early SH chart, I made pressure adjustments as suggested on my Newbie post. They are still my current settings and are as follows: EPAP of 8-12 and PS of 2-15. Other settings such as humidifier and heated hose vary but are always used. Ramp time is another area that's variable, I cannot fall asleep quickly, as in more than 30 minutes is typical. I have tried ramp time of 5-15 and 30 min. with pressure of 6 - 6.6.

I am going to primary care doc today to discuss a prescription sleep aid for a month or two until I get used to the machine so I don't take the mask off and turning off the ASV. I have moved the machine further away after from the bed after the first night. So, maybe it turns itself off? Smart start is set to off. I am turning on the leak alert for tonight, which BTW disables smart start as an option. I'm guessing if I remove the mask, it will alert me and I can put it back on and fall back asleep.

I can understand not using the first 2 machines as neither was a good therapy choice, but now I'm on the right machine and I have to get over the speed-bump of using it all night to gain positive results.

Thoughts, suggestions, or whatever may assist is asked for so I can do better. Thanks in advance.

Dave B.  Hammer
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
You could glue tacks to the mask. Too-funny
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bad habits are hard to break, and removing the mask is a habit that needs to change to one that adjusts and secures the mask. I don't know a magic solution to keeping the mask on your face, but a couple things to think about. Is the tubing supported over your head, or loosely draped across the bed? Suspending the hose can eliminate the potential be it getting tangled and removing the mask, and it's just more comfortable.

You know that if you don't demonstrate compliance by using this machine at least 4-hours in 21 out of 30 days, you will lose it. Your health depends on you resolving this issue soon, even if it means using the machine while awake. If it comes to that, just flip it to CPAP mode and breath and watch TV, but get in your hours.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't help with the problem of removing your mask, as I've never (thankfully) been through that.  You could try using a wide chin strap "over" top of the mask straps.  That would make it harder to remove the mask. Or at least it would be a battle and would wake you up enough to adjust the mask.

I have been following your journey, and for what you have been through so far and the amount of time you waited to receive your ASV......it is important that you do everything possible to get at least 4 hours of use in, or as SleepRider stated, they could take the machine away. Sad

Before bed, sit up watching TV or reading and use the machine for an extra hour to help with compliance.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to each reply. I'm very much aware of compliance. And if/when needed I will CPAP while awake for making compliance as needed. I will do whatever I must to keep this therapy going; trust me. I don't know where exactly I saw it, but sometimes a sleeping pill can help. I snatched that piece of info and visited the primary care physician. Just got back from there BTW. He gave a script that should assist. I couldn't read the med's name but I will take it 1 hour before bed so that I'll be more relaxed and tired. He said it will help get more sleep overnight. He is aware of me being on the ASV. Just like I told the doc, I'm so sleep deprived and tired that I can no longer fall asleep but for short periods of time.

As for the hose, it does not currently have a support; I have as much of the hose as possible near the inside edge of the daybed I sleep on. If I don't have it situated that way, the hose finds a way of pulling some on the mask. I can notice the weight difference between standard and heated hoses BTW. A hose support is on the "Obtain List", along with a new pillow of buckwheat or similar AND a soft cervical collar, and a chinstrap if it's needed. I'm considering also the aroma therapy stuff that sits outside the blower intake on the fabric pad and stand. (chloroform vanilla maybe) But right now I still am a zero income disabled but not collecting disability person, so I have to choose free things to modify the therapy requirements, etc. until income resumes.

OK thinking out loud: can my EPAP min be too low? Does it make sense to try a bit more, maybe 9 to see if my mask removal is from an awareness of not enough air? BTW I'm either editing or eliminating ramp altogether, just not sure yet which, and I would rather have a space of time per adjustment so I know if it was a good or bad adjustment. I'm assuming the ramp on my super blower is similar to other ResMed 10's. It starts with whatever it's set at upon pushing the start button whereas the PR DreamStation's have a dedicated ramp button to activate it.

I am positive I will beat this glitch. Thanks again for input.

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sit up with it on during the day. Not to cheat on the compliance, which would be wrong and insurance fraud, but to get you and your body used to it.

Try turning the ramp off if you have not tried that already. If your minimum is 8, ramp isn't necessarily needed.

Have you tried other masks?

As for taking off the mask, attach the hose to your pillow as close to the mask as you can without it impeding you. That way if you take it off, the noise and/or air sensation will (hopefully) wake you. Taking off the mask in one's sleep is a common problem, so you aren't alone.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I will try those suggestions. As for the mask question, I have not tried many yet. I did like the Amara View, which I still have, but after trying the AirFit F20, the AV is best as a backup. I'm finding it to be harder to adjust the AV mask for leaks and comfort than what I first recall when paired to the PR Dreamstation. The DME said I've got 30 days to try the F20 and then I can try others as well. I'll try anchoring the hose to the pillow also.

Thanks for the advice,
Dave B.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 09:30 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You could glue tacks to the mask. Too-funny

Haha...  given this is SarcasticDave, I was going to suggest duct tape.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2017, 02:25 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 09:30 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You could glue tacks to the mask. Too-funny

Haha...  given this is SarcasticDave, I was going to suggest duct tape.

If I thought it would work, I'd probably try it. I have ruled out staples. I'm allergic to pain too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't use Gorilla Tape. Your lips will look like Daffy Duck after pulling it off.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 7 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 207 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 656 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 445 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,422 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,436 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.