Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
RE: How do I stop mask removal while sleeping?
(10-02-2017, 01:44 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 01:23 PM)skubler Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 01:16 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Welcome
Smart Start is Resmed's auto start and stop feature.  It is suppose to start your CPAP when it senses you breathing and stop when it no longer senses any backpressure, meaning you took off the mask.

Ramp is a feature that allows the patient to start at a lower pressure for a certain time (45 minutes maximum) before raising to a therapeutic pressure.  

Your mask removals may be due to major mask leaks.  If you are using Auto Start, it may interpret these leaks as a mask removal and stop the blower.

I hope this may have answered your questions.

Thanks It seems like I read somewhere that this machine can be programmed to "sense" your breaths to know when you have fallen asleep, but I cannot find where I read it in order to know how to set it. Any ideas?

We have the same machine, so I'll take a swing at this. This breath sensing is an automatic function through the ASV algorithm. This function will depend on the machine running in, unless I'm mistaken, ASV Auto mode. I'm quite certain this feature would be off if running in CPAP mode. Not so sure about ASV mode, as I only use ASV Auto mode.

Breath sensing BTW will happen per breath, making adjustments within the settings that are current. These settings are as follows: EPAP Min and Max, and pressure support (PS) Min and Max. IPAP is determined by EPAP plus PS.

And can that be done through the machine itself, or does it have to be done on the SD card?.............I truly am new! So  sorry for sounding so stupid
Post Reply Post Reply
It's set on the device/machine. Depending on what yours is set to, you may need to edit the settings via the clinical set-up mode.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the 'knowing when you fall asleep' stuff relates to the Ramp function. It can be set to Off, Timed (up to 45 minutes), or Auto. If on Auto, the ResMed will hold the pressure at the Ramp Start pressure until it decides you've fallen asleep, and then ramp the pressure up to your therapy minimum pressure - but I don't know how long that ramping up takes.Reviewing my early days data, it looks like it might go immediately to the minimum, but since my old ramp start was 4 and my minimum was 5, it's hard to tell. Currently I don't use the ramp at all, finding that my minimum of 11 helps to inflate the balloon seals of my Amara View mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my ASV ramp goes from Off to 5 min then in 5 min increments to 45 min. Unless I've missed it, mine has no Auto Ramp. YMMV as usual. SD94
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with ramp on ASV is that many of the people using ASV have sleep transition central apneas. This wakes them up. Since ASV is frequently set at a low starting EPAP pressure, it is sometimes best just to turn off ramp, then as you drift off to sleep the transitional CA is treated by pressure support.

Skubler, get the clinical manual (setup manual) for your ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Lots of good information in that manual. Please feel free to start your own thread so we can help you with your questions and get you fully dialed in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I tried the ramp with various settings the first few nights with ASV. I eventually just turned it off. It was hindering me from going to sleep, IMO because of the sharp increase to my standard pressure settings at the Ramp timer end. YMMV but IMO Ramp and the ASV don't play well together.

Dave B.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 5 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 206 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 651 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 445 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,422 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,436 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.