Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I succeed in maximizing apneas?
RE: How do I succeed in maximizing apneas?
You have received good advice in the previous posts. I might even advise you to follow it. I understand your concern over losing your CPAP. I was in a similar position last December when I was required to have a new sleep study. Ten years earlier my first sleep study had an AHI of 4.9 and the Doc put me on CPAP therapy anyway. I needed to replace my S8 machine because it was approaching its final death throes. I also wanted to maximize my apnea events. I made certain that I slept on mt back that night and I had two glasses of wine before going to the sleep center. My AHI this time was 69 and I got a new CPAP. I might have had a high enough AHI without going to extra effort but I didn't want to take any chances. The only regret I have now is not requesting an APAP. With APAP and the right software every night is a sleep study. I am not offering any advise. I only wanted you to know what I did.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, OK I get it. Thanks Cutter!
Post Reply Post Reply
A brief update.

Originally scheduled for tomorrow night, I will try to postpone my take home sleep study until next week since I'm crazy busy at work these days before vacation with a three-day business trip abroad from sunday afternoon. Besides the fact that I would not particularly benefit from being without treatment for even one night during this busy period, - better have that when things have slowed down a bit - I simply don't have the time for the 35 mile drive to the lab and back (and the same procedure again to turn the equipment back, so all in all 140 miles of driving + one night of bad sleep).

Also, it's likely my results under these circumstances will not be what I want and need them to be - if I'm stressed out, I may not sleep deep enough to have any apnea events. What's your take on this? Huh

Meanwhile, I can also tell about a night earlier this week, when I got 8,5 hours of sleep with zero (!) events. Pressures between 7 and 11. (average 8.5, 95% pressure 10.72, see attachment). I found that I usually score 3-5 events per night, mostly clear airway apneas or hypopneas, down from 5-15 events per night during the first two weeks, after which I raised the lower APAP threshold from 4 to 6 cm.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK - partial update. I did finally get around to doing my 'take-home-sleep-study' on friday night, returned the equipment monday afternoon, now I am anxiously awaiting the results.

I have had terrible afternoon headaches sunday-monday, and I am still quite sleepy despite two good nights with the mask back on - maybe that is a sign I had a real terrible nights sleep during my study, and get to keep the machine? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
1) The study is designed to measure your apnea, not necessarily to provide the proper treatment.

2) Even if you get the right pressure to stop your apneas, sometimes you feel terrible for a while. Some people use the term "sleep debt." I often think it's like withdrawal symptoms from O2 deprivation and sleep disturbance. Your body and mind make adjustments to your metabolism to try to adapt and when you eliminate the original problems, your metabolism is now out of whack until you adjust. It's a bit like withdrawing from nicotine, drugs, or alcohol.

Edit - I had missed that you were doing CPAP already, and that your test night was basically a night without CPAP treatment.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well - it was one night without treatment, after almost five months of 100% treatment compliance. I figure my feeling bad after this single night tells me I really need the treatment.

The clinic may think something else, the jury is still out.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - very little public interest, but here is the follow-up. Apparently I have a max AHI of 4, which is considered normal. However, I will keep the PAP-therapy based on my self assessment of improved health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I think that's of great public interest. Or should be. Who says we need to draw the line between 5.00 and 4.99? If your AHI is 5.00 you need a CPAP machine, if 4.99 you don't!

Another thing is that a AHI from a CPAP machine is not the same as a AHI from a sleep study. If my CPAP machine reports a AHI of 5 it doesn't mean I was awakened five times per hour, it just means my breathing faltered for at 10 seconds five times an hour. It's possible that I could sleep right through those events and feel great in the morning. On the other hand if I woke up 5 times per hour I'd probably feel like crap the next day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have done some brief googleing on mild OSAS and came up with some reading about the UARS syndrome - which in effect is the same as OSAS, but since arousals precede apneas, AHI will not be very high for patients with UARS.

Treatment for UARS may be xPAP, same as OSAS, so I figure I will just carry on sleeping at the end of my hose.

Oh well, I guess y'all already knew all this. Good night from Europe. *insert big yawning smiley*
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2012, 02:49 PM)JohanKarl Wrote: I have done some brief googleing on mild OSAS and came up with some reading about the UARS syndrome - which in effect is the same as OSAS, but since arousals precede apneas, AHI will not be very high for patients with UARS.

Treatment for UARS may be xPAP, same as OSAS, so I figure I will just carry on sleeping at the end of my hose.

Oh well, I guess y'all already knew all this. Good night from Europe. *insert big yawning smiley*

I've heard it's sometimes hard to get doctors and/or insurance to recognize, treat, or pay for UARS.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 607 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 308 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,287 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.