Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How do you avoid mouth leaks?
This poll is closed.
Full Face Mask
13.04%
9 13.04%
Chinstrap
33.33%
23 33.33%
Tape
15.94%
11 15.94%
Don,t need anything - keep my mouth shut
26.09%
18 26.09%
None of the above - see my comment
11.59%
8 11.59%
Total 69 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you avoid mouth leaks?
How do you avoid mouth leaks?
In the beginning of my therapy started with full face mask as thought I was a mouth breather but after tried Activa LT nasal mask and chinstrap could go all night without mouth breathing.
If you answer - say something - anything
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks?
Using a nasal mask, and I have no problems keeping my mouth shut.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows here... no problem keeping my mouth shut... except on the forums, where I keep it wide open most of the time. Bigwink Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Going into my sleep study, I was convinced that I would need a full face mask since I have a history of chronic nasal congestion and mouth-breathing. The doctor insisted that I try a nasal mask first, believing that I would switch to nasal breathing once I started CPAP. I was very skeptical, but he turned out to be right. I have a chin strap but I haven't needed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just keep my mouth shut and no problems. When I first pulled my machine out of the bottom of the closet and started using it again I was having an issue, but I used a "home made" chinstrap kinda thing for just a couple nights and it fixed the problem. There has been the odd occasion that I have not kept my mouth shut, but that is pretty rare.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a chin strap. Without it I mouth-leak. I don't need to wear it all the time, it's more like a training device used to teach my mouth that it needs to stay shut.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2012, 10:09 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I wear a chin strap. Without it I mouth-leak. I don't need to wear it all the time, it's more like a training device used to teach my mouth that it needs to stay shut.

I know some people who could use this ... while awake. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap built into mask headgear.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted that I use tape, and I do but I also need to use a chinstrap with my nasal pillow mask. Makes it less than simple getting ready for bed. That's probably why I almost prefer to use my full face mask and trade one for the other occasionally.

Suz
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zonk, I use a chinstrap. I tried for months to "train" my mouth to stay shut, but that didn't work, oh well, win some, lose some, I guess, (Ha-Ha-ha,) My wiseguy husband sam said "by keeping your lips closed," (Ha-Ha,) my comeback to him was, what do you expect from a non-hosehead, (Ha-Ha-Ha?)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 47 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.