Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How do you avoid mouth leaks?
This poll is closed.
Full Face Mask
13.04%
9 13.04%
Chinstrap
33.33%
23 33.33%
Tape
15.94%
11 15.94%
Don,t need anything - keep my mouth shut
26.09%
18 26.09%
None of the above - see my comment
11.59%
8 11.59%
Total 69 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you avoid mouth leaks?
RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks?
You're wearing a full face mask and you breathe through your mouth, not your nose. I suggest a heated covered hose with maximum humidity. Also, see a ENT doctor to find out why you're not breathing through your nose.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full-face mask. My leak rate stays constant throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask and a chin strap and my leak rate is zero throughout the night.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a soft cervical collar
Post Reply Post Reply
which dentek product do you use- maximum protection dental guard ( one that looks like football players use) or comfort fit dental guard to help with your mouth breathing problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Just joined today. My sleep study showed that my breathing got slower and slower and then I gasped for air and woke up. I tried the nasal pillows and got no sleep. My nasal passages are slim and one or both often close up during the night. I believe that's what woke me when using the nasal pillows--not getting any air. But I am also a side sleeper, and I've read that can mess with the pillows, so that could also have been the problem. I switched to a Quattro Mirage ffm and that has worked well for me. Until recently when my machine began to stop sometimes during the night. Have to look through the manual (ugh!) but think the problem may be that too much moisture is building up in the hose and then the mask, which slips off my face a bit. Once I dry the mask and let the hose and connector dry, the machine works fine again. I'm going to take out the humidifier tank and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum MarianC! How old is your ResMed machine?-I don't recognize the model you listed. Sounds like maybe you should find out if it is defective as it shouldn't stop during the night. How long have you been on CPAP therapy?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2016, 01:37 PM)MarianC Wrote: Just joined today. My sleep study showed that my breathing got slower and slower and then I gasped for air and woke up. I tried the nasal pillows and got no sleep. My nasal passages are slim and one or both often close up during the night. I believe that's what woke me when using the nasal pillows--not getting any air. But I am also a side sleeper, and I've read that can mess with the pillows, so that could also have been the problem. I switched to a Quattro Mirage ffm and that has worked well for me. Until recently when my machine began to stop sometimes during the night. Have to look through the manual (ugh!) but think the problem may be that too much moisture is building up in the hose and then the mask, which slips off my face a bit. Once I dry the mask and let the hose and connector dry, the machine works fine again. I'm going to take out the humidifier tank and see what happens.

Your machine may have an Auto On/Auto Off setting. Check to see if it is enabled. If your mask is slipping off your face, the machine may think you took mask off and will automatically shut off.

This may not be the issue, but check your settings. Yes, that means reading the manual. Smile
You can get the Clinicians Manual for your machine here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

You may also want to try lowering the humidity setting.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 21 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 361 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.