Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Distilled or Not Distilled?
This poll is closed.
Distilled-Empty and Refill
25.93%
7 25.93%
Distilled-Just Add
40.74%
11 40.74%
Not Distilled-Empty and Refill
29.63%
8 29.63%
Not Distilled-Just Add
3.70%
1 3.70%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you treat your humidifier?
RE: How do you treat your humidifier?
When I used a "just refill-distilled" routine, there was eventually some red (algal?  bacterial?) growth.   
I now empty each morning and dry with a bit of tissue and set it aside to dry thoroughly.  No problems and perfectly clean for YEARS.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reverse osmosis water. Top off nightly (I use about 3/4 of tank in a typical night). Empty and rinse every few days. Wash occasionally.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can it hurt the machine if the humidifier water tank run dry?
I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
It does not harm anything if the tank runs dry.  

I used to use distilled water, but was tired of carrying it up the stairs all the time.  Now I use regular tap water that is very hard water.  I was cleaning it out with vinegar, but it did leave a smell, so I switched to a heaping teaspoon of citric acid powder dissolved in warm water, and let it sit for about half an hour.  Then it rubbed a little with an old toothbrush, and it came clean way easier than it had with the vinegar.  I've never seen anything slimy or a funny color, just the white build up from my hard water.

It makes no difference what kind of water you use, you are just breathing in the mist created by the humidifier.  It will always be perfectly clean, and will not transport any chemicals from hard water or from any other kind of water.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Distilled water only.
Pour in just over halfway to full line.
Use almost all of it over night.
Pour unused water back into the gallon jug in the morning.
Shake out the tank and leave it open to air dry. Set silicone gasket aside to air dry.

A gallon jug lasts about three to four weeks.

Tank and silicone seal still look like new.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 56 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  How can I treat primarily "Clear Airway" events? mcrick 13 986 02-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 972 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.