Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do you wear your nasal pillow prongs?
How do you wear your nasal pillow prongs?
I was talking about the Pillairo nasal pillow earlier and how the nasal inserts are kinda like sleeves that really go up in the nasal passages a bit and kinda expand a tab to line the nasal passage.  It got me thinking.  Am I wearing my Swift FX Wrong? 

Does ANYONE insert the nasal prongs up into the nostrils?  Or am I the only one that does not.

I have always worn them just pressing against my nose and because I always assumed that the smaller sized pillows would have less air flow.  I was surprised when i broke my large when I tried the smaller ones and the air flow was the same.  Also, I recently tried cramming the Swift type prongs up in my nostrils and to my surprise it works fine.   But I only tried with my large so it was a bit much on the size.  So I am wondering am I supposed to be using a small enough pillow that the prongs would go all the way up in the nostrils?

Is it a matter of personal preference or does the manufacturer designate a usage method?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do you wear your nasal pillow prongs?
There has been much advice given on “nasal pillows” and the right way to wear them.  

The pillow should not be inserted into the nostrils, but just sit at the bottom of your nose, with the pillows slightly inserted.  Some folk are fitted with too small of a pillow size, which in turn can cause irritation and sores if the pillow is inserted into the nose.  

Always use a larger size than you think you need.  They should seal well without being inserted too far into the nostril.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2018, 10:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: There has been much advice given on “nasal pillows” and the right way to wear them.  

The pillow should not be inserted into the nostrils, but just sit at the bottom of your nose, with the pillows slightly inserted.  Some folk are fitted with too small of a pillow size, which in turn can cause irritation and sores if the pillow is inserted into the nose.  

Always use a larger size than you think you need.  They should seal well without being inserted too far into the nostril.

Thanks for the reply considering I have not been around to read enough to see all that activity.  I appreciate it.  This is what I was thinking and thought I recalled from past literature.

I am guessing that getting up in the nasal passage (nostril) does increase risk for problems considering I believe its reported that a bunch of things like staph bacteria and other bad things like to live in there with regularity.  Seems like I have also seen where folks with ingrown hairs or any kind of physical trauma up in the nose can quickly become dangerous infections.  So that makes sense as to the mode and method design with consideration of product design vs. liabiity.

Still with that said, I really like the way that the pilairo works.  I am guessing that its so soft that it simply minimizes any potential problems associated with inner nasal use like this.  For me any aggravation associated with that one lasted a week and then never again.  I imagine it only goes inside the nostril about a centimeter tops..

And for any readers that dont know what a pilairo nasal pillow is, I am NOT referring to any of the hybrid tube type that are out there designed to stick up in the nostril.  While novel and well lntended, those just do not work IMHO..  Pilaro is like a really THIN sleeve of SOFT material that is completely non-abrasive and really non-invasive for the most part.  My experience was that the simply pressing on the nasal hairs was the cause of the light aggravation I experiences.  Those hairs trained in quickly..  LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly all nasal pillows have a widening then a sloping down toward the open end. Some have several such bulges. NONE of these bulges go inside the nostril. Only that slight tapered end goes in. Put it against your nostril and do not push. If more than the tapered end goes in, then you have a size too small. Never shove or push a nasal pillow inside the nostril. This will most likely cause leaks. And sores. And big arse sized nostrils.

Some nasal pillows have a barely noticeable tapered end and really doesn't go inside the nostril. The Nuance is one. The Dreamwear.

Go to YouTube and look up your mask. Watch videos on how it is fitted.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 993 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 245 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,135 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 322 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 510 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 388 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 948 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.