Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does RLS affect AHI?
Question 
How does RLS affect AHI?
Have been using CPAP for 10 years. Recent repeat sleep study showed moderate to severe RLS. Now started on ropinirole oral med and AHI is much decreased according to my CPAP machine data which I can review on software I have. My question is, why does AHI go down if treating RLS and RLS is reduced when AHI measures apneas, hypopneas (breathing disruptions.) Do not understand why decrease in leg movements lowers the AHI which is a measure of breathing events. Do fewer or improvements in RLS leg movements cause a decrease in breathing problems? I do not understand the relationship of RLS and AHI and cannot find info on internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does RLS affect AHI?
Well, if the restless legs were waking you up you might well get apneas too. Either way there was a sleep disturbance. Our bodies are all connected you know ... I hear people relax all over from a good foot rub for instance.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmtwieg1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RLS, Restless Leg Syndrome, is not the same as PLMD, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. (Sometimes referred to as PLMS, periodic limb movement during sleep)

RLS is a daytime, "voluntary" thing.

PLMD is a nighttime, "involuntary" thing.

RLS is a strong urge to move the legs (to be overly simplistic). It is a nervous system disorder. The urges make one tense up, move, twitch, etc but all of it is voluntary. It can happen during any point of the day but is worse while at rest, including when laying down to sleep.

PLMD is more sudden and only happens during sleep. It is considered a sleep disorder. It can be violent or mild. It can happen to those without other sleep disorders such as sleep apnea. Many of us with sleep apnea have the diagnosis of PLMD as a side effect of our OSA. The twitches happen because of our apnea events. The worse the event, the worse the twitch.

A person can have both RLS and PLMD but the two are not the same.

While RLS is not considered a sleep disorder, it can disrupt sleep, especially in the beginning. I can see how a medication to treat RLS would improve sleep which would, in turn, lower the AHI. Because you are sleeping without being woke up, the machine has a chance to treat the apnea events and keep the airway open. Before, it never really had a chance to do so. This is my assumption.

I did some Google foo can found this interesting article
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671939/
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time? KeepSmiling 2 962 11-15-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Why would cushion size affect how well I breathe? theredheadsaid 14 1,420 07-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  [Health] Does a glass of wine affect sleep? lukazi 8 883 03-06-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  How does ResMed EPR affect AHI corvous512 5 1,293 06-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Diet [affect on Sleep Apnea] E.W. 6 1,602 07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Bubba45
  [CPAP] Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? lech 180 14,638 07-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Last Post: lech

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.