Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
Just got a new S9 (replaced much older ResMed device.
When I stopped breathing with the old device, it would increase the pressure in steps until started to breath.
With my new device, I have experienced longer periods of not breathing (up to a minute) with no apparent change in the device pressure.
Is this normal operation?

How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event?
Thanks
Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
(03-08-2014, 01:48 PM)KC2684 Wrote: Just got a new S9 (replaced much older ResMed device.
When I stopped breathing with the old device, it would increase the pressure in steps until started to breath.
With my new device, I have experienced longer periods of not breathing (up to a minute) with no apparent change in the device pressure.
Is this normal operation?

How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event?
Thanks
Barry

Hi Barry

Can you tell us what has happened or where you got the info that you have longer periods of not breathing without a pressure adjustment? What kind of apnea events are you talking about (hypopnea, etc.). I see you are not using software.

A lot of factors go into the response of your machine. It is my understanding that if the machine senses a restriction or partial collapse or any issues with the airway, that it will adjust the pressure until the event is corrected. If you can download ResScan and/or SleepyHead and post a graph to show what you are referring to, that would help us answer your questions better. EDIT: Your machine will not respond to Central Apneas though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KC2684, welcome
The S9 Elite does not initiate breathing, you breath on your own accord and not an AutoSet either
If set at 10, the machine deliver 10 all night long except Ramp time
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KC2684,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome KC2684, Zonk is right, it sound like your previous machine was an Auto and now you have a fixed CPAP. With the auto the pressure raises to the maximum pressure set as needed then slowly lowers to the minimum or where required. You need to look at your data, your pressure may need to be raised a bit to accommodate for it not increasing enough. If you download Sleepyhead or ResScan for here for free and see what you 95% percentile figure is and your median figure and let us know. You really need a week or two of data to get an accurate picture
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2014, 03:40 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome KC2684, Zonk is right, it sound like your previous machine was an Auto and now you have a fixed CPAP. With the auto the pressure raises to the maximum pressure set as needed then slowly lowers to the minimum or where required. You need to look at your data, your pressure may need to be raised a bit to accommodate for it not increasing enough. If you download Sleepyhead or ResScan for here for free and see what you 95% percentile figure is and your median figure and let us know. You really need a week or two of data to get an accurate picture
My previous machine is an S8 Elite from ResMed. I thought it was also a only a CPAP. The current one also has an EPR (currently set to "3").
I do have ResScan software and shall try to copy the screen image and post it.
What is the best way to show my data? I could get a screen grab or attach the complete file (OMG.
Suggestions welcomed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2014, 04:30 PM)KC2684 Wrote: My previous machine is an S8 Elite from ResMed. I thought it was also a only a CPAP.
Both S8/S9 Elite are straight CPAP, not APAP
The major difference between them, S9 central apnea detection and the addition of the heated hose option

Post Reply Post Reply
KC2684, the old CPAP is the same then, EPR is used for comfort for when you exhale, I also have mine set at 3, that is really a personal thing but you could try lowering it or even turning it off to '0' to see if it helps. I think you need 5 posts on here before you can attach a file. The Autoset is the better machine as it gives you the comfort of being able to increase or decrease your pressure during the night as needed, not sure how you got yours and whether you can change it.
Post Reply Post Reply
But Wait there's more...
I gave my old S8 a run.
When I breath out the EPR comes into play and the pressure drops. What I noticed as an increase in pressure was the EPR reverting to the set pressure either:
1 When I breath in
or
2 When a time passes. The time seems to be a function of my normal berthing period.

I am not sure that the S9 actually is reducing pressure at all (I'll try it some more), but even if it is, its not reverting to the set pressure.
Again I'll talk to the manufacturer and the Dr.

(trying to make attachment smaller)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2014, 01:48 PM)KC2684 Wrote: How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event?

The ResMed S9 Elite is a very fine data-capable CPAP machine, but it doesn't do anything in response to an apnea event. It simply maintains a constant pressure.

If you have the EPR function turned on, it will reduce the pressure a bit when you exhale, and then raise it back up again when you inhale. Perhaps you don't have this feature enabled on your new S9, or perhaps it's on and it works more smoothly than it did on the S8.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,102 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 553 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.