Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
RE: How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
(04-02-2014, 01:28 PM)DKC_apnea Wrote: I have the S9 Elite and having been using it since February.

The EPR is a "comfort" feature and allows exhale relief of up to 3 cm H2O relief. So if your set pressure is 10, and your EPR is set to 3, it will allow an exhale pressure of 7. If the unit detects an event (lasting 10 secs), it will immediately increase the pressure back to it's "set pressure" (regardless of EPR).

There is an option to allow EPR during ramp only, or allow the EPR to be full-time. Sounds like you had best results with it off entirely, and if you find that comfortable that's great.

For myself, I really prefer using the EPR, but I have noticed there is a trade-off. If the exhale pressure is allowed to drop too much, obstructive apnea events can start to occur. Essentially what happens is that once the exhale completes itself (against the reduced pressure provided by the EPR), the airway may collapse if you are relaxed and don't inhale right away. The S9 (in CPAP mode) waits 10 seconds before identifying that as an apnea event and forcing the pressure back to the set pressure.

The S9 will quickly respond, but the whole purpose of CPAP is to minimize those events or prevent them from occurring. On the other hand, if the set pressure is too high, I have a tendency to over-titrate and get central apnea events.

My sleep study resulted in a recommended pressure of 8. I would love to use an EPR of 3, but I need a minimum pressure of around 6.4 to prevent the OA's, and unfortunately a set pressure as high as 9.4 gets me back into centrals. I set my EPR to 2 and set pressure to 8.4 and that seems to work well for me. Maybe I can ween myself off EPR with time.

Of course the changes to EPR and pressure may be restricted if the CPAP is not set up to allow the patient to make their own changes. Some choose to refer to the clinician's manual and make their own adjustments. SleepHead is a very useful tool to help study your results.

Its a learning process, and best to monitor your results over time and not make too many tweaks at a time.

Awesome first-post DKC_Apnea!!

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does ResMed S9 initiate breathing after an apnea event
(04-02-2014, 01:28 PM)DKC_apnea Wrote: Essentially what happens is that once the exhale completes itself (against the reduced pressure provided by the EPR), the airway may collapse if you are relaxed and don't inhale right away. The S9 (in CPAP mode) waits 10 seconds before identifying that as an apnea event and forcing the pressure back to the set pressure.

My BiPAP immediately raises the pressure as soon as I stop exhaling. Exhalation pressure relief (EPR on your machine, Bi-Flex on mine) shuts off and to boot, the pressure rises from EPAP to IPAP.

Welcome to the forum.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,066 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.