Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed AirFit F10
RE: Resmed AirFit F10
Thanks for the update Raypat. Good stuff. Congrats on making this work out so nicely for yourself --- and others!
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone tried the boiling with baking soda trick on the F10 masks, or does the hard plastic mean it's not allowed?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Eviltim, Ive not heard this before..! Would you like to expand on the "boiling" bit...? Seems a wee bit way out there.

(08-31-2014, 09:11 PM)eviltim Wrote: Has anyone tried the boiling with baking soda trick on the F10 masks, or does the hard plastic mean it's not allowed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the info. I'm planning on moving from the Simplus to the ResMed F10 and have the new mask on order.
Post Reply Post Reply
Raypat @ 53 if you go to the forum titled 'Sensible advice required' and go to advice by Big-Dave @ 3 he will explain what Eviltim is talking about.

I have since tried it on my P10 pillows and it worked very well. I am more than happy with the result, which I posted further along in the said forum.

Eviltim, I am not sure how it would go on the F10 as I haven't seen one of those masks.
I have seen the N10 and I am sure you could do it with that cushion.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2014, 09:11 PM)eviltim Wrote: Has anyone tried the boiling with baking soda trick on the F10 masks, or does the hard plastic mean it's not allowed?

Hi eviltim,

Haven't tried it but would be surprised if the boiling hot water didn't completely warp the hard plastic part. (For those who haven't seen an F10 cushion, it has a large central clear hard plastic piece with the silicon rubber cushion portion permanently affixed to it around its edges.)

Boiling does not harm soft silicon rubber but many/most hard plastics deform irreversibly if they get too hot. Depends on whether the plastic is specially formulated for high temperature, and most are not.

Don't try it except on an F10 cushion you wouldn't mind destroying.

Or call ResMed customer support and ask them first.

I find that using a liner pretty much removes the need for the cushion to seal well on its own, not at all like when using a FFM without a mask liner. The liner stops mask flapping/squealing and softens leaks so the remaining leaks are not bothersome.

I have used my F10 for a few months now and, using a liner, see no reason yet to try to renew the silicon rubber portion, but if I wanted to try renewing it then I would try soaking all day, starting with 1 quart warm (not hot) water with one or two tablespoons baking soda added, to see if lower temperature but longer time has same renewing effect.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find the airfit f10 puts pressure on the facial sinuses in such a way as to be a bit uncomfortable. It also leaks badly if your pressure ramps up during the night. I went back to my old Simplus.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 10:52 AM)vsheline Wrote:

Haven't tried it but would be surprised if the boiling hot water didn't completely warp the hard plastic part. (For those who haven't seen an F10 cushion, it has a large central clear hard plastic piece with the silicon rubber cushion portion permanently affixed to it around its edges.)

Thanks for the advice, yeah, that's more or less what I figured.

I am a little concerned about the price of these cushions. The first one lasted me about a month and a half.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2014, 08:18 AM)Raypat Wrote: Well its been nearly 4 months since I first posted this topic and I must say that I am now happy with the ResMed F10! In my case, using it in conjunction with a fabric liner has solved the problems of leaks around the bridge of the nose while still retains the lightness and comfort that the mask is known for. I still have to cinch up straps a tad more than I would like but at least I don't feel as if my head is in a vice, as it was with the F&P simplus that I have. Thats now in the standby box until I need to use it. hopefully never! I now make my own liners after a period of trial and error but now that I have found a fabric that does the same sort of job as the Remzee liners I first used I cut and use them as I need. The Remzee were hard to come by here in Australia and cost a arm and a leg to buy hence I sought a alternative.
So to sum up, the F10 is for me, a step forward, both comfortable and light weight in design. Its been well engineered with comfort in mind. Ive often wondered if the guys(or gals) who first came up with these designs ever spent a night in bed with a mask on to see how it fits and feels...!
peaceful sleep has returned to my night life and I'm a happy dreamer
Hi Raypat,
It's GREAT to hear that you found a mask that works well for you and that your homeade liners work well, too.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,440 Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,775 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,540 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 266 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 944 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,077 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,317 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.