Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does my CPAP machine know if I am snoring?
How does my CPAP machine know if I am snoring?
Does it have a microphone? Does it call the neighbors to see if they heard anything? Just interested in what the technology is. How does it know?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does my CPAP machine know if I am snoring?
The machine queries your Significant Other to learn if you are still snoring while using it. Or lacking an SO, the machine will search out your pets and see how far away from you they are sleeping. Laugh-a-lot

I'm not sure the machine can detect snoring per se. If you are using something less than a full face mask, your open mouth (which is a snoring necessity) may be recorded as a leak.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It can tell based on the vibrations it receives in the response it gets from when you breathe out. Like the rest of the data, compare the snore data with what else was going on at the same time according to the graphs.

I suggest however, that wearing a tin foil hat while in bed would help tremendously in keeping them from contacting your SO.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2012, 10:19 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I suggest however, that wearing a tin foil hat while in bed would help tremendously in keeping them from contacting your SO.

Would the tinfoil had go under the headgear, or over it? Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question. I would suggest which ever is comfortable as well as just how paranoid you feel each night.

See, the AHI stands for Alien Hysteria Index. So the more hysterical, the more tin foil. That's why when the AHI is high, we feel so crappy the next day. I mean, really, who wouldn't feel like crap after being kidnapped and probed?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2012, 11:17 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Good question. I would suggest which ever is comfortable as well as just how paranoid you feel each night.

See, the AHI stands for Alien Hysteria Index. So the more hysterical, the more tin foil. That's why when the AHI is high, we feel so crappy the next day. I mean, really, who wouldn't feel like crap after being kidnapped and probed?

This sounds like a new Wiki article.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2012, 09:59 PM)JJJ Wrote: Does it have a microphone? Does it call the neighbors to see if they heard anything? Just interested in what the technology is. How does it know?

It has a pressure sensor with associated logic circuitry that performs a variety of functions. One of them is the detection of oscillations in the pressure at a high frequency, in other words, vibrations.

It can also detect the difference between a clear-airway apnea and an obstructive apnea by monitoring the response to pressure pulses generated by the machine during apneas.

Pretty fancy stuff, really, especially in view of how short of a time we've had CPAP machines. Just think what'll be available 5 years from now when it's time for us to get new machines!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
See? Sleepster knows everything.

Thanks for that answer, dude.

And yeah, it is amazing the difference between my old S7 and my S9. It has to get ever more better-er!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2012, 08:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: See? Sleepster knows everything.

He sure is technically-minded. I'm going to start calling him "Professor Sleepster".

oldman

Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My wife asked the same question on how my S9 unit helps. Every wake up I ask my wife "Did I snore?" and she always replies "no" with a big smile on her face. It's great to know the technology is out there. I've been on cpap for 3 months now. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,433 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 155 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 191 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 405 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 856 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 271 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.