Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does my CPAP machine know if I am snoring?
RE: How does my CPAP machine know if I am snoring?
(05-28-2012, 07:40 AM)memnoch1974 Wrote: My wife asked the same question on how my S9 unit helps. Every wake up I ask my wife "Did I snore?" and she always replies "no" with a big smile on her face.

One CPAP machine = Two people sleeping better. :grin:

Welcome to Apnea Board, memnoch1974! Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2012, 04:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It can also detect the difference between a clear-airway apnea and an obstructive apnea by monitoring the response to pressure pulses generated by the machine during apneas.

The pressure sensor is necessary to provide a constant pressure as the airflow changes. Almost all CPAP machines have a pressure sensor. Some machines only have a pressure sensor and don't detect apneas. (REMstar Plus or ResMed Escape, for instance.)

In order to detect apneas, an airflow sensor is required in addition to a pressure sensor.

I suspect snoring detection works off the airflow sensor as well.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
These are a couple of airflow plottings from my sleep.

The first one shows normal snore-free breathing:

and the second one shows the vibrations caused by snoring which are picked up by the pressure sensor in capable XPAP machines:

Although to be fair, these were recorded by a pressure sensor on a sleep monitor but the principle is the same.

Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ, thanks for asking this question. According to SleepyHead I snore a lot throughout the night with numbers around 40. I ask my hubby regularly if I snored and he says not that he heard. There are some times I wake up throughout the night because my mask gets loud. The exhalation port isn't blocked but when I move my head half an inch, the noise stops. Weird. I think the cpap machine records this sound as snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 07:24 AM)iSnooze Wrote: The exhalation port isn't blocked but when I move my head half an inch, the noise stops. Weird.

This happens to me, too. Or at least it did until I switched to my current mask. I think the noise is caused by the air jetting out of the exhalation port and hitting something like a pillow or blanket. You can test this by moving the pillow or blanket and seeing if it makes the noise stop.

Quote:I think the cpap machine records this sound as snoring.

Mine doesn't! You could note the times that these things happen, event jot them down on a notepad, and then check in the morning to see f they coincide with a snore.

Sometimes snoring can be very soft, and barely audible by the partner. My wife says I've stopped snoring since I started CPAP.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 04:03 AM)Hypnagog Wrote: These are a couple of airflow plottings from my sleep.

The first one shows normal snore-free breathing:

and the second one shows the vibrations caused by snoring which are picked up by the pressure sensor in capable XPAP machines:

Although to be fair, these were recorded by a pressure sensor on a sleep monitor but the principle is the same.

This is the great ans and anyone can easily understand. i saw your example. Thanks. but let me know that how do oral snoring device work?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 02:31 AM)HenryPatterson Wrote: Thanks. but let me know that how do oral snoring device work?

Think about the muscles relaxing in your throat. When they do that the passageway for the air to travel (the airway, it's called) gets narrower.

If the airway is narrow enough the air has trouble passing through and vibrations occur. That's snoring.

If the airway narrows enough to cause a significant reduction in air flow that's called a hypopnea, whereas a total blockage is an obstructive apnea.

Oral devices force the lower jaw forward, making the airway larger. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you snore, and you don't have sleep apnea, an ENT can remove a small piece of tissue in a procedure called a somnoplasty. That may cure your snoring. It's an in-office procedure requiring only a local anesthetic.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 303 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 623 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,727 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,476 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.