Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does the F30i mask work?
How does the F30i mask work?
I feel stupid asking, but I can't figure it out from the pictures: does the air flow into both nose and mouth?
Lately my P10 feels less comfortable, and I read that the F30i is a very comfortable mask. So I'd like to understand whether the therapy will feel very different.

Thanks on advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does the F30i mask work?
The f30 and F30i have a nasal airway and an opening for the mouth. It would work for anyone but it is needed for people who open their mouth while sleeping. If you keep your mouth closed during sleep then the p10 (or Any P mask) would be more comfortable in my opinion.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question:

I have used a number of oronasal masks and thought I like the F30i the best up until August 2021.

I had problems with it and since Sept 2021 have returned to using a nasal device only. In my case the P30i ie the pillow type nasal mask.

With the oronasal mask also called full face mask (FFM) you can breathe in or out either

1. through your nose
2. through your mouth
3. or both.

I found the problem was that I switched between these during sleep.

The issue I suspect is that for me, I needed different pressures for each type of breathing.
I settled in to sleep with my mouth closed, breathing in via the nose, when FLs caused the Resmed to increases pressures at some stage during the night I switched to mouth breathing and found the pressures were too high for that. Not tolerable, arousals, dry mouth, chest discomfort and so on.

I even tried fully taping my mouth with the F30i but of course that converts it to nasal only breathing and is counter-intuitive, but led to problems of its own.

So, for me, it was very difficult to titrate/control/calibrate the best settings for the whole night with the F30i even though I largely managed to control leaks with it.

Now I am much happier using the nasal mask only. Yes I do need the neck collar and the mouth tape, but at least I no longer have desert dry mouth in the morning, use much less water in the humidifier and my pressures during the night are more constant.

What a journey. Just my observations. Interested to hear what others feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the ResMed F30i during a Titration a few months ago, and it was ok but I didn't particularly like how tight the straps needed to be to seal the nasal cradle top half.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the F30 for close to two years and have a F30i but rarely use it. My problem is since they both have only small or medium masks, the lower part of the lower mask has a tendency of slipping into mouth when it opens. Five years on cpap and still waiting on the perfect mask. Sarcastic Dave 94 is exactly right. Straps have to be tight to stop leaking, or your face will look like the landing strip on an aircraft carrier. I wake up so dry mouthed I swear it took 10 minutes to unweld my mouth from sticking together.
Post Reply Post Reply
And to think I was looking for a more comfortable mask than my P10. Others have complained that the P10 headgear stretches too much, my problem is that I have a big head so the headgear often feels too tight and doesn't stretch enough. I guess I'll stick with what I have.

Thanks guys for all the information!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F30i with considerable success, but, as has been said, the headgear straps have to be uncomfortably tight, for me, anyway, to control leak.  They stretch out somewhat overnight. but I still have the facial railroad tracks in the morning.  I recently tried the N30i, which is nasal cradle only.  It was much more comfortable but the headgear wanted to slip over my head every night and controlling excessive leak was a nightmare.  F30 for me is the lesser of the evils.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahi tuna, I use the n30i and the way I keep the frame from slipping is by wearing a soft cap.  It’s perfect and doesn’t leave any strap marks on your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
So many good hints here.
I have just borrowed and tried the P30i and F30i masks.
I ordered a Respironics attachment --it's a strap used on the Respironics dreamwear mask. It really helped. It's lower on the back of my head.

There may be a place for a full face mask in my life when I need it more. I was able to wear the F30i full face mask all night. I've never been able to use a ffm before.

Question: Theres a F&P full face mask recently released; what is it called? It's similar to the F30i mask but when I looked some time ago it seemed much better built. Bad memory; I don't know what it's called.

edit: Is it the F&P Evora™ Full ?

I've googled it. Yes it's the F&P Evora Full.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, the F&P Evora Full mask is only released in Australia at this time.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 3 110 Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 98 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 332 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 5,037 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 377 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 731 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 932 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.