Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does this hose attach?
How does this hose attach?
I don't have a DME because I get my care through the VA so I can't just go ask; they have mailed me a ResMed branded Nasal Pillow headgear but I'm not seeing how to attach it to the machine.  The hose is way too short to just hook to the back of the machine (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset); the diameter is too small to hook to the end of the existing nasal mask hose (also ResMed, don't know model) - there's no interference pushing it in so it comes back out with no effort.

https://imgur.com/a/RVng2

Am I missing a part?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does this hose attach?
(09-25-2017, 11:00 PM)derekf Wrote: I don't have a DME because I get my care through the VA so I can't just go ask; they have mailed me a ResMed branded Nasal Pillow headgear but I'm not seeing how to attach it to the machine.  The hose is way too short to just hook to the back of the machine (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset); the diameter is too small to hook to the end of the existing nasal mask hose (also ResMed, don't know model) - there's no interference pushing it in so it comes back out with no effort.

Am I missing a part?

A hose? 6ft or so? Maybe take a look at the Resmed site to visualize it?

Maybe download the manual from the top menu here to help you out with other essentials?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 11:00 PM)derekf Wrote: I don't have a DME because I get my care through the VA so I can't just go ask; they have mailed me a ResMed branded Nasal Pillow headgear but I'm not seeing how to attach it to the machine.  The hose is way too short to just hook to the back of the machine (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset); the diameter is too small to hook to the end of the existing nasal mask hose (also ResMed, don't know model) - there's no interference pushing it in so it comes back out with no effort.

Am I missing a part?

One, you are missing the hose between the machine and your mask.

There is a heated version, a version for supplemental oxygen, an unheated full-size hose, and a "thin" hose.

If you use the heated hose, the ResMed unit will connect automatically. If you use the thin hose, you need to set the hose selection in the machine "clinical settings" ("Tube" Choice: Standard or SlimLine). Also set the ("Mask" Choice: Pillows, Full Face, Nasal). This will ensure that the sensors properly record flow. If you use the ClimateLine, you can set the ("Climate Ctrl" Choice: Manual, Auto), ("Tube Temp" Choice: off, 60-80 degrees Fahrenheit -- unless your machine reads in Celsius degrees) And, there are other settings.

Read your manual and you may wish to obtain a clinician's manual for the clinical settings. -- See the "CPAP Setup Manuals" tab at the top of the page. To enter clinician mode -- hold down the home button (under the screen) and the silver push-in knob button simultaneously for a few seconds.

Two, as for not having a DME, any one of the vendors listed in the vendor section above will be pleased to answer questions for free.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like the hose on top in the picture has an adapter in the end. Try taking the adapter out and connecting the hose for the new mask to it.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi derekf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which machine do you have? The name of it should be near the on/off button, it would help to know that so we can further assist you.
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
pupcamper is correct. there is an extra adapter in the end of your slimline tubing. remove it and your new mask will connect.
Post Reply Post Reply
That model should come with a 6ft hose (small gauge) though it can run with the thicker gauge hose, you have to change the settings in the clinicians menu.  Hold the HOME button and the ROUND KNOB in at the same time until the screen changes, scroll down using the knob and change it to the type of hose you have, looks as if it is the small gauge hose you have, also when in there, change it to Nasal Pillows if it is not set for Nasal Pillows..
There should be 6ft of hose, thin or normal.  On one end there should be an elbow to connect to the back of the machine.  On the photo, there is an extra connector on the end of the hose, remove that and put the mask into it.
The machine will work with both types of hose, it just has to be set up for it, it is just a case of selecting hose type in the menu.  The mask will also fit both types of hose and the rubber connectors are both the same size.  The reason you have to chance the settings is due to the pressure that get the the other end of the hose and flow rate.  However, if that is all the hose you have in the photo, you are missing 6ft of hose.
The mask when you put it on (Nasal Pillows) has a rough bit at the top of the Nasal Pillows, this goes to the top.  The mask, if it is the one i think it is, the plastic bit goes over your head and the strap goes to the back of your head.  This is a common mistake people make, I did it myself until I thought it didn't feel right, but the Sleep Nurse said most people do not notice it is round the wrong way.  The rough bit on the Nasal Pillows is right in the middle of the pillows, this goes to the top.  Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,609 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 271 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 254 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 619 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,360 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 568 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 686 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.