Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How does your CPAP pressure compare to your predictive value?
RE: How does your CPAP pressure compare to your predictive value?
I use mine only when I have a change in medication.

I once had it on, woke up, and rolled over to pet one of the dogs after turning off the CPAP. I fell asleep without the CPAP running. Woke up feeling like crap on a stick. The oximeter reading was evident my CPAP was working!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use my oximeter *every night* it has been most enlightening.
My ODI based predictive number is 8.7 and I am running at about 13cm measured so I suppose it's close enough for starters

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I don't use it very often. The model I have (CME 50E) is a finger end unit that is fairly uncomfortable and falls off in the middle of the night about a third of the time. You can set an alarm, but it is so loud that it wakes my wife and I up, not exactly the whole point. I used it to verify the O2 drops associated with apnea and hypopnea events, then pretty much put it in the drawer once I had the data I needed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of oximeter use and it is another piece of information to manage your treatment. I would maybe recommend one of the wrist mounted units (50F & 50I) if you plan to use it frequently. Some people also tape the finger ends with surgical tape to keep them on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sensor for the CMS50-F is fairly comfortable, unlike the clothspin style clip on jobs.
I always use some paper hospital tape to keep the thing from moving around or slipping off at night.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info Paula, Shastzi, and jdireton! I've been debating whether I should get an oximeter... I reviewed my original sleep study and they did report number of ODI, just didn't label it as ODI! Smile I had an AHI of 130 and ODI of 67, yikes! My ODI was only about 60x greater than Paula's report on page 1 of this thread!

The predicted pressure (11 cmH2O) was lower with the equation using ODI than with the other two equations (12 to 12.8 cmH2O) and well below the prescribed pressure from my sleep doctor. Note, he prescribed based on my diagnostic sleep study and his clinical experience, not from an in-lab titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rick,

You bring up a really good point in your question I forgot to answer. Yes, any data now would be while using the CPAP for therapy. Sorry, I don't think I'd go a night without CPAP just to see what the non-treatment data is. So, as far as the first prediction formula (I don't have a copy of my sleep study anymore), I just have to let that one be.

Hope we've helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your replies, jdireton, very interesting! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
IDRIck: If you are wondering about needing an oximeter, you probably need an oximeter. Smile

Without CPAP, I was getting about 140 events...all night....but the de-sats were well down in 70% area. (my poor brain)
If I were you, I'd get a decent oximeter that you wear on your wrist and it wont bother you as much at night.
Then watch to reports it churns out like a hawk.
Wink
Just my 2 cents worth.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I am saving up to get one of the wrist versions. I wore mine last night and have a sore spot on my finger. It will be there for several days. Whenever I am in the hospital, they have to keep moving it to different fingers to keep from giving me a pressure sore.

Yeah, I'm special.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The clothespin style oximeter was definitely a design by DeSade Engineering Consultants. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 215 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 266 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 426 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 175 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 560 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,435 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.