Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How does your CPAP travel by air?
This poll is closed.
First Class - in it's own case in carry on baggage
65.00%
26 65.00%
Business Class - packed inside my other carryon bag - just part of the luggage
17.50%
7 17.50%
Coach Class - packed inside checked baggage
7.50%
3 7.50%
Left behind - it stays at home
0%
0 0%
Air travel?!? Me?!? On one of those newfangled aeroplanes?
10.00%
4 10.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How does your CPAP travel by air
How does your CPAP travel by air
OK. When you travel by air, how does your CPAP go?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How does your CPAP travel by air
I haven't traveled with it yet, but will be in mid-April for a long weekend, and the end of May for a week and a half out of the country.

The plan for now is to have it in it's own travel case, separate from the carry-on. Definitely not taking a chance on putting it in the checked baggage.
Post Reply Post Reply
DME said it doesn't count as carry-on luggage because it is a medical device. I haven't tried it yet. Won't be long though.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's true. It's a medical device and doesn't count towards your carry-on allowance.

And if you're traveling to a different continent check to see if you need an adapter to plug it in. All machines that I know of will run on both 115 V and 230 V, but the geometry of the plugs won't always match. So you just need the little adapter, not the big converter.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've carried mine on-board, in it's own travel case, for years. Never had any airline even question it. (Air Canada, American, Delta, United, US Air, West-Jet)

Security checks used to be a PIA but now they see so many CPAP machines daily it's no longer a problem. They usually ask "Is that a Sleep Machine?" when it goes through the X-ray. Sometimes they may ask you to open the case but most times they just say "OK"

All airlines (mentioned above) do not count a CPAP against your Carry-On limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
My PRS1 60 series travels in a case logic slrc 206 camera bag. I can fit my machine, humidifier, heated tube, mask, power supply and some other stuff in it in separate compartments. It has plenty of padding on all sides to keep everything safe.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always packed it in luggage and never had one lost. I realize I could carry it on the plane, but I'm not a big fan of advertising my use of CPAP, and fortunately it has never been an issue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 10:39 AM)AshSF Wrote: My PRS1 60 series travels in a case logic slrc 206 camera bag. I can fit my machine, humidifier, heated tube, mask, power supply and some other stuff in it in separate compartments. It has plenty of padding on all sides to keep everything safe.

Camera bag - good idea, that.

I travel a little bit lighter, so I am looking for a much smaller camera case that will just barely fit the S-8 flow generator (no need for a power brick cord- yay!), tube, and mask for that very purpose. I find the manufacturer supplied bags overkill and way too big for what I want/need.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
Additional Note... When travelling in an "RJ" (Regional Jet) the overhead bins are too small for a normal carry-on bag. They "Valet" check your carry-on at the aircraft door but your CPAP fits with no problem or is easily stowed under the seat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 10:53 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have always packed it in luggage and never had one lost. I realize I could carry it on the plane, but I'm not a big fan of advertising my use of CPAP, and fortunately it has never been an issue.

Have you seen the way checked bags are treated!!!

Ground handlers toss them like sacks of potatoes. Do you really want to subject your critical (and expensive) CPAP to that treatment?

As for advertising, years ago (late 90's) my old Teledyne was a big square box in a grey carry bag and yes there was no doubt as to what is was but today modern units look no different than any other carry-on. They’re so common now that airline staff don’t even notice anymore and I guarantee you will NOT be the only passenger on board with one.

The only time airline staff even mentioned anything to me was on an Air Canada overnight flight to Frankfurt Germany. The stewardess asked me if I would like to move to a seat that had a power outlet so I could use my machine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,735 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 777 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 27,092 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.