Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How does your CPAP travel by air?
This poll is closed.
First Class - in it's own case in carry on baggage
65.00%
26 65.00%
Business Class - packed inside my other carryon bag - just part of the luggage
17.50%
7 17.50%
Coach Class - packed inside checked baggage
7.50%
3 7.50%
Left behind - it stays at home
0%
0 0%
Air travel?!? Me?!? On one of those newfangled aeroplanes?
10.00%
4 10.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How does your CPAP travel by air
RE: How does your CPAP travel by air
Just as a reminder, to count as "medical device", only CPAP and its gear can be in the bag. You might get away with a magazine or the like but if they wanted to get snippy (like how they've been overbooking lately and asking folks to check bags), I'd not put much else in there.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 11:33 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Just as a reminder, to count as "medical device", only CPAP and its gear can be in the bag. You might get away with a magazine or the like but if they wanted to get snippy (like how they've been overbooking lately and asking folks to check bags), I'd not put much else in there.

In the past, I've segregated and packed all my meds - Rx and OTC - in there - which is a considerable load - but not much else. If push came to shove, I would dare them to challenge it.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP carry bag is always packed with whatever else I do not want to pack in my suitcase as well as my CPAP. Have made a number of trips on 2 different airlines with no problem carrying on my CPAP bag. Paula is probably right in the strictest sense but the airline folk seem to be pretty accommodating when it comes to medical equipment.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 12:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My CPAP carry bag is always packed with whatever else I do not want to pack in my suitcase as well as my CPAP. Have made a number of trips on 2 different airlines with no problem carrying on my CPAP bag. Paula is probably right in the strictest sense but the airline folk seem to be pretty accommodating when it comes to medical equipment.

Today airlines charge for "Checked" bags so people try to stuff everything into Carry-On's.

It was never a problem in the past but today don't count on airlines being lenient with rules for “Medical” devices.

The only things I used to put in the case, besides my ResMed S8, were miscellaneous chargers (Cell Phone, Camera etc… ) but today everything is USB so no need!!

I travel with an S8 Elite II and leave the AirSense10 at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I travel my CPAP machine goes in its carry on bag along with my wife's charging unit for her spinal chord stimulator. We usually add our bags with our prescription drugs. Never had any issues with it. I do have a tag I got from one of the suppliers identifying it as a med device, but usually have it stowed unless I need to play the card. If I fly on an RJ, I will tell the gate agent first that I am carrying one. Because of my wife's mobility issues, we usually preboard so there is no problem.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 12:10 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 11:33 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Just as a reminder, to count as "medical device", only CPAP and its gear can be in the bag. You might get away with a magazine or the like but if they wanted to get snippy (like how they've been overbooking lately and asking folks to check bags), I'd not put much else in there.

In the past, I've segregated and packed all my meds - Rx and OTC - in there - which is a considerable load - but not much else. If push came to shove, I would dare them to challenge it.

OMM

Sorry, I said that wrong! I can be such an idiot sometimes.

Only medical items can go into a bag designated as a medical device/supplies bag in order to qualify for the waiver. It is best to keep the bag's contents as neatly arranged as possible so it goes through the xray cleanly. Just look up info on how to pack a briefcase for ideas.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I pack my CPAP machine in a zip-top canvas boat bag that I put in my roll-aboard. If the overheads are full and I'm forced to check the roll-aboard, I pull out the canvas bag and keep it with me. My laptop and CPAP machine never go in the belly of the plane even on a puddle jumper.

I have a different plan on Tuesday. I'm taking an ERJ-145 to Chicago and connecting to a 737. A 3 night trip and I'm planning to go ultra-light so I can make use of the tiny area under the seat and overhead bin that won't accommodate a roll-aboard. Laptop, CPAP machine, and the bare minimum of clothing and toiletries in two canvas bags.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing as I fly probably once every 10 years, I would pack it in the Resmed case and keep it with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I pack cpap humidifier, hose, mask and all my stupid meds into the med bag. I pack a clothes bag that I check and I carry a laptop backpack and another carryon. I put my cpap into ziplocs after having a tsa agent toss them out of the open case and into a dirty bin. (I hate when I don't get TSA Prechk) I am loaded down and it sucks, but at least I have the things I like with me.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Last time I carried it on no problem. I'm thinking about getting a hard case so I can check it without worrying about it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 456 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 776 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 27,086 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.